The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2001, 10:29 AM   #1
nwgunman

There is a very informative article concerning muzzle flash in the latest issue of the IDPA Tactical Journal (Vol. 5 Issue 2). The author, Charles Hamilton, did a pretty good subjective test of various powders available to handloaders. Unfortunately, he did not have the opportunity to use any Vihtavuori powders. Still, the results are interesting. His more "scientific" approach confirmed my casual observations, namely, that I will never again load with Power Pistol, and that AA#5 is a fairly good choice for tactical training loads.
Old April 11, 2001, 11:29 AM   #2
Unkel Gilbey

My Brother used to have a load for 44 Mag that used a 240 gn bullet and a charge of Win 296. Don't know any of the particulars, but out of his short barreled Smith, that SOB used to have a Blast like no tomorrow! We're talking an orange fireball the size of a Fair winning pumpkin!

I don't know if what you are referring to with this deal about the muzzle flash being a good or a bad thing - as I haven't seen the article, but from the standpoint of sheer fun, that Magnum load was IT!

Unkel Gilbey
Old April 11, 2001, 01:03 PM   #3
muzzletalk

I would imagine that nwgunman is referring to muzzleflash as unwanted. Is there a way to get hold of that article? I would be interested in seeing what it has to say because I use power pistol right now and considering on returning back to AA#5.
Old April 11, 2001, 02:36 PM   #4
Hemphill

You might want to give Winchester Super Target a try too. In 45 and 40 it seems to be pretty low flash. A buddy of mine shoots VVN350 in 40 and it has a truly beatiful muzzle flash. It is about the size of a saucer and with a dull orange color, and is streaked with orange and yellow veinlike colorations.
Old April 11, 2001, 03:18 PM   #5
Cheapo

Anybody know how much flash Herco loads produce in 9mm, .40 slick'nWeasel and .45 ACP? Even .357 Mag?
Old April 12, 2001, 12:11 PM   #6
nwgunman

Yeah guys, the operational phrase here is "tactical training loads". I have to admit that the sight of a huge ball of flame blasting forth from the muzzle of your gun looks "cool" when your just out plinking with your buds. (the shorty .44mag "mountain gun" is a definite candidate) But it ain't the happening thing when your inside that tight little dark room in the "fun house" trying to learn how to stay alive. Stay safe.