The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2009, 08:46 PM   #1
tunein

Pro 1000 broken shell plate carrier

I was in the middle of de-priming some cases and after about 100 cases the carrier started to feel stiff. I cleared the cases out of the plate and cycled it a couple times empty and it seemed fine, once I placed another case in the same stiff feeling. When I tried to complete the stroke the shell plate broke free from the base.
Has this happened to anyone else, and do you know if this is something that Lee covers? The press I have is pretty old (probably 20+ yrs), but it was well taken care of. I did read something about it on there web site, but I have not gotten a response back from an email over the weekend.
Thanks for the input.
Old March 23, 2009, 08:51 PM   #2
tunein

as a follow up, I was using a separate turret with just the decapping die installed, but cycling the press as if all dies were installed. When actually loading complete bullets I would install a different turret with the other two dies installed and use already primed cases to eliminate the primer feed issues. Hand priming the cases was not hard and made using the press a breeze, especially by using the two turret set up.
Old April 7, 2009, 05:55 PM   #3
jim-alex

Tunein-
I just had to order 2 shell plate carriers.... They are made of cast aluminum which often has minor cracks/fissures which, over time, turn into major cracks. I had one carrier break probably near where yours broke, at the core of the carrier where the "drive bolt" goes thru the center. My other carrier had a "wing" of the U shaped portion break - tried to glue back on with "Gorilla" glue - no luck. Anyway, you just need the body of the unit (TR2429), which lists for $20. I ordered mine via the Lee site (a very poorly designed site), then went to "Factory Sales" where you can buy individual parts online. The body only cost me $12 each but their S/H cost about $15 (which is absurd!) but I will get two bodies for the price of one complete unit which costs $39 or so at Midway. Then it is just a matter of replacing all the little springs, pins, gears, screws, etc.

Jim
Old April 7, 2009, 07:13 PM   #4
tunein

Well I called Lee and discussed the issue I had and they told me to send it back for replacement. When I asked "how much"?, the response was zero, nada.
Needless to say I was extremely satisfied with the customer support and except for having to pay shipping to return the broken carrier assembly ($7.50), there was no cost involved. The new part came a couple days later with information as to what they found to have caused the breakage. They stated they believe the rear dies were contacting the plate (the power die was upon inspection after replacing the new one). So even though it appears it was an operator error (instructions are pretty meager on set up), they covered the part with no questions asked.
They do have a policy that if you return anything back for repair that they will repair/replace for half the cost of a new part, this includes the whole press!!!
Now how many companies do you know that will do that??
I am impressed and will continue to do business with them in the future.
Old April 7, 2009, 09:35 PM   #5
aerod1

Most all of the companies that manufacture reloading equipment will do that . I do, however, have an appreciation for Lee Precision because they will do that without charging outrageous sale prices for their equipment. Their prices are low and they give great service.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old April 8, 2009, 11:56 AM   #6
Ricklin

Lee Pro 1000

After considerable frustration my brother GAVE ME his Lee Pro 1000. It took me a while to get dialed in to the machine, and I had to order a new case feeder for my small cases.
It took me a few hours to get the machine right, it's been cranking out quality ammo for a month or two now. It sure beats a single stage for pistol ammo.

And Hey SWMBO likes it when I show her how much "my" ammo costs me vs. store bought.

Now if I could figure out a way to easily capture or find my brass when I'm shooting the CZ82 it would be perfect!

My Glock practically puts it in a neat little pile for you. The CZ really throws the brass wily-nily.
Old April 8, 2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Dingoboyx

Yeah Ricklin

Someone needs to invent a 'catcher' for wild brass throwing SA's. My Glock is the same, they go in 1 general direction, My P22 flies them all over the joint.... had 1 go down a ladies top (yup, right between the you know whats) We all offered to get it out for her, and kiss it better, but she was on the ball once I had a 22 case go forward of the muzzle and the next shot got it