The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 1999, 01:48 PM   #1
cornered rat

I would like to load up some defense rounds for an alloy snubbie. The reloads would used for practice but need to be usable for defense. I am thinking of going with 110 or 124gr jacketed soft point and fast powder to minimize the flash. What kind of powder/charge would you recommend?

I will re-check with reloading manuals for amounts, but need help deciding which powder to pick.

My current load is Federal PD and, while it doesn't kick much, it is not all that fast and does make a big flash at the muzzle.
Old August 11, 1999, 02:04 PM   #2
Joe Portale

cornered rat,

You forgot to mention what caliber you are talking. The basic recommendations for personal defense will be the same, meaning a metal jacketed hollow point bullet.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

Old August 11, 1999, 02:57 PM   #3
Paul B.

CR. I use Bullseye in my practice defense load. My gun is all steel, and the load is rated +P. If you are shooting a .38 Spl. and are interested, E-mail me and I'll pass it on. It is for a 150 gr. bullet. Another, not +P, uses a 141 gr. wadcutter, but is hotter than what most wadcutters are loaded to.
Paul B.
Old August 11, 1999, 03:34 PM   #4
cornered rat

Sorry. I have talked aboout my Taurus 85UL so much I figured everyone knew I had it

I would also like that load to be usable in a steel snubbie, but my interest is primarily getting a fast light or medium-weight bullet with not too much muzzle flash.

I tried +P loads in the 85UL and it felt like the gun was coming apart in my hand. I fired three, unloaded the rest and fed them though my 686...
Old August 11, 1999, 06:02 PM   #5
CCV

I'm no snubbie expert but from what I hear and read you will be better off with a 158 grain swaged SWC HP. Then just work out a load to duplicate the factory federal or Winchester load.

BTW, for defense use factory loads. Reserve your handloads for practice.
Old August 14, 1999, 06:48 PM   #6
DEVILDOG2

That's a goos point about using handloads for practice and factory loads for self defense. I have a Model 60 with a 3" bbl and a Det. Special in which I use the Federal Nyclad (non +P). These loads were originally designed to perform from a short barrel, and this factory load is even known as the "Chief Special" load. I have two bullets in front of me have been fired at approx. 20 yds. into water jugs; they were both caught in the third milk jug. Recovered diameter on both id about .65"; one came form the Mod. 60 and one came from the Det. Special. The only way I can tell them apart is by the different rifling marks; apparently that extra inch of barrel on the Mod. 60 doesn't make much difference with this load. They are 125 gr., by the way.
Old August 14, 1999, 09:46 PM   #7
CCV

Those water filled jugs work great don't they?
Old August 16, 1999, 01:40 PM   #8
10mmrules

W231 IS A FAST POWDER, IT WOULD GIVE YOU MAXIMUN BURN BEFORE EXIT. IT WOULD BE MY CHOICE

------------------