The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 7, 1999, 11:17 AM   #1
JoeHatley

I've read articles in the past about "squeezing" a slide in a padded vise, as the 1st step in a "tightening" job.

My question is: How can this be done without cracking the recoil spring tunnel on the front of the slide? Is only the back portion put in the vise?

Curious in Omaha...

Joe

PS: Yes, I just bought an Officer's Model that is quite loose.

------------------
Go NRA
Old October 7, 1999, 10:58 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Joe, the way I do it is to only squeeze two sections of the slide one at a time. You squeeze the rear first then lap it on the slide. The the portion of the slide at the ejection port and lap it on again. Then the rails are peened down and the slide is lapped once more. I don't recommend anyone do this without the proper tools. It's very ease to squeeze the middle of the slide together too far and not be able to get it on the frame again. Hire it done. George
Old October 8, 1999, 12:31 PM   #3
JoeHatley

George,

Thanks for the feedback. Squeezing a portion of the slide at a time makes sense.

The current fit is okay verticaly, but the lateral fit is sloppy. I was concerned that peening the rails to make them wider would loosen up the vertical fit. That's why I was concentraiting on narrowing the slide.

Your point about having it done by a pro is well taken. I do enjoy the challenge of analyzing a problem and then correcting it myself. It seems to be much more satisfying to shoot a pistol that you have helped to "be all it can be".

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old October 8, 1999, 04:01 PM   #4
BigG

Hi Joe, just a thought. The reason the GI 45 had such an enviable reputation for reliability was the very slop you want to take out. If it is a defense gun, you might want to reconsider.

The slop was designed in by John Moses Browning, may he rest in peace.

Regards,

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

Old October 9, 1999, 06:10 AM   #5
HS

You could get a slide & have it hand fitted to the frame.
These are for sale at http://www.gunsamerica.com/showguns....0&startgun=221
$120.00 Colt slide military issue, good cond. have 2 of these, $120.00 each, slides only, not complete guns
Phone: (717) 957-3515
Seller: Kocher's Gun Shop
Address: 323 Valley Street
Marysville, PA 17053
Electronic Mail: [email protected]
I'm sure George would do a good job !

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
Alternate E-mail
[email protected]

Old October 9, 1999, 12:58 PM   #6
JoeHatley

BigG, I understand about the "built in" clearence. Not a defense piece, just a project gun. Something to keep me outa trouble and off the streets...

HS, Thanks for the heads up on your add. If I get too ham fisted with the original slide, I'll be looking for a replacement.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA