The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 1, 2000, 11:26 PM   #1
JLS

I have a Ruger #1 and a Browning .380 that I'd like to have re-blued. Can anyone give me any advice on how to proceed? I don't know if this is something I should try to have done locally (Dallas area) or if I'm better off sending them to a nationally known refinisher like Accurate or ???. Any recommendations will be much appreciated.

Jim
Old December 2, 2000, 02:49 AM   #2
JK

JLS, I would try to find a local gunsmith and ask to see examples of his work. Let the gunsmith know what you expect. The better the bluing job the more you will pay. Sometime mass refinishers get a little heavy handed when polishing the guns and round corners and leave polish marks visible in the finish. I don't know if George Stringer offers bluing, but if he does you could send the firearms to him. George, did you read this one?
Good Shooting John K
Old December 2, 2000, 08:27 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

JLS, I do offer bluing from matte to master grade finishes. Prices range from $125 to $180 for handguns and $140 to $190 for long guns. You might want to check around locally and see what's offered. If you don't have anyone near you to do this type of work feel free to e-mail me. I'd be happy to take care of it for you. George

Old December 4, 2000, 08:36 PM   #4
JLS

Thank you for your response. I'll check around the Mesquite gun show this weekend to see if I can get this done well locally.

George, I've heard good things about your work so I may be back in touch with you soon.

Thanks again, Jim