The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 15, 2010, 05:33 PM   #1
kwhi43

Guess What I Found?

Going thru some old boxes and came across some old caps. This is all we
had to use back then. This was in the early 1960's.
Old March 15, 2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Delmar

Are you going to see if they work?
Old March 15, 2010, 06:53 PM   #3
slammedsi

Dixie gun works.. Havent seen them in a while. I think they started around the early 50's
Old March 15, 2010, 08:50 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Ahhhhh . . . . you brought back some memories! Believe it or not, I still have about 6 or 7 tins of these in the tin that is identical to yours. To be honest, I never cared for them that much but you could order them by mail - with no shipping restrictions I might add! I bought a sleeve of ten tins. The other choice I had were Remingtons - I could get those from an old (and I do mean OLD) gunsmith that had a shop about twenty miles from where I lived. I used to by my Dupont Black Powder from him as well. I was a kid - just old enough to drive. I don't remember how much a tin of 100 Remingtons were but I do know that they were under a $1.00. I still have one of the empty one pound FFG cans witht the original price of 75 cents marked on it in black grease pencil (I think a grease pencil is even a thing of the past!). I believe that Turner Kirkland started out peddling from the back of his car at Friendship (in the 50s?) if I remember the story correctly. I never met the man but he really did a lot to promote the sport of shooting black powder shooting. I didn't start shooting until the earlier 60s and I can always remember waiting very impatiently for the new Dixie Gun Works catalog to come out. It was always filled with great information and treasures they had for sale. This will also make heads shake - I still have one unused maple full stock blank left that I haven't used yet. Dixie ran a sale - normally they were $6.00 ea. and they ran a deal where you could by a quantity of 3 for $6.00! They shipped them through the post office and I can still remember the look on the Postmaster's face when he handed them over the counter to me. I doubt if they had ever had anything quite like that come through our small post office. Ahhhh . . . the memories! Damn I hate it when I start to reminisce and I sound like an "old fart"!
Old March 15, 2010, 09:35 PM   #5
kwhi43

Yes, old memories. I bought powder for 1.75 a can Dupont. Where did the good old days go?
Old March 15, 2010, 10:00 PM   #6
robhof

robhof

My brother and I bought a 3/4" bore cast iron cannon barrel from DGW in the early 60's and the shipping equalled the price, but it was still cheap. We built the carriage as a scout project and even took it on camp outs and fired it, try that today!!! We also ordered a DGW scissors mold with the barrel to cast 69 cal balls to shoot with 12 ga. wads. Now that I'm living in Ky. for the past 5 years, I took a trip to see DGW, since it's still open. A small storefront, most business is mail order, but every corner had piles of b/p rifles, from real antiques to modern replicas, and some showcases with some truely beautiful b/p guns. There were also cannon barrels outside and along the floor in front of the counters. For a small place, it took me a few hours to see it all and handle some of the fine rifles and revolvers.
Old March 15, 2010, 11:58 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Oldie, but are they goodies? I would imagine so.