The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 21, 2013, 10:59 PM   #1
mrappe

Buying a 1961 Springfield

I have been a Cowboy Action Shooter for many years and for this year I have been using my Piettia 58's for my pistols. I also have an Colt 1860 that I have had for years but I have never had a muzzleloading rifle. I am thinking about doing some Civil War reenacting and have been thinking about getting a 1961 Springfield. The sutler that I got my uniform from says that it is hard to find some of the Italian guns now and I was wondering where the best place to look might be and how the different brands compare.
Thanks
Old October 21, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Col. Mosby

Try this site http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/forum.php , if you are looking for a musket to re-enact with. None of the repops are perfect copies. I have a couple of Euroarms that serve me well. However, they sold out a while back and parts are hard to come by. Armisport is still in business and parts are available. Pedersolli makes '61s now but they are pricey,around 1100.00. I held a decent original in my hands just last week that was going for 1300.00 at a local shop.
Best of luck to you in your search.
Old October 22, 2013, 08:50 AM   #3
maillemaker

There are only two manufacturers of Civil War long-arms today, Armisport and Pedersoli. Pedersoli is definitely the superior of the two.

You can get a Pedersoli 1861 Springfield for $900 from Cabelas, which is about $50 more than what the Armisports go for:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Peder...h-All+Products

If it is important to you to have all the correct markings added and incorrect markings removed you will have to send it to someone like Blockade Runner or Lodgewood to have them "defarbed". You can figure another $300 to have that done.

If you start thinking about an Enfield, the Pedersoli is the one to choose hands-down. All of the reproduction Enfields copied the original Parker Hale repro, which was based off of a Type IV Enfield which never saw service in the ACW. They were almost all Type IIIs. When Pedersoli bought out Euroarms, they re-tooled the Enfield to make it more properly resemble the Type III. Also Armisport screwed around with their stock trying to make their Enfield more correct and totally botched the job. Supposedly they have corrected it but there is no telling how many of those are still in their distribution channels.

Like Mosby pointed out you can check the cwreenactors and the N-SSA bulletin boards as used ones come up from time to time. Also Lodgewood often has guns on consignment including originals. I personally would shy away from originals for reenacting because unless you want to spend $4000+ you will not have an original that looks like an as-issued original would have looked in service. Originals do still see service for actual shooting competitions as their locks tend to be higher quality and with a relined barrel can make great shooters.

Steve
Old October 24, 2013, 10:17 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

No love for EuroArms? I think they're the other big Italian reproduction manufacturer.

BTW, I like my British Parker Hale Enfields.
Old October 25, 2013, 04:27 AM   #5
Hawg

Euroarms is now owned by Pedersoli.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:06 AM   #6
maillemaker

Quote:
have been thinking about getting a 1961 Springfield.
Also I assume we are talking about 1861 Springfields?

Steve
Old October 25, 2013, 09:12 AM   #7
g.willikers

You know you're getting old when not only do you get the decades wrong, but even the centuries.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:23 AM   #8
maillemaker

1961, 1861, it's all pre-ME.

Steve
Old October 25, 2013, 09:13 PM   #9
BerdanSS

OP

The group I was in (14th IN Vol. Infantry H Co.) had Euroarms '61s. And while I personally prefer the '53 pattern 3 band Enfield, they were very nice, Nice quality arms I liked them better than the armisports of the time (about 16 years ago) If you look on armslist.com I've seen several very nice repro '61s lately, and for excellent prices I may add. And even better, someone here may have one laying around they'll part with. If you want a brand new one, Fall Creek Sutlers are wonderful people to work with. I visit them regularly, and while I believe they only carry the armisport long guns now, their service and business practices are hard to go wrong with.

ps...Any of the CW era muskets/rifled muskets are a BLAST to shoot