The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 6, 2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

anyone use one of these "wallet" holsters ???

I started doing some holster leather work a while back, & designed my own similar, but have been too busy to get back to leather working... saw one of these in the last Cabela's shooting catalog, so I just bought one to try out... ( if I don't like it, maybe it'll motivate me to finish the one I started )

anyone using one ???

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104388480
Old September 6, 2012, 06:22 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I have something similar for the Beretta Bobcat (22 LR). It actually shoots from the holster.
Old September 6, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Microgunner

I've owned and caried two or three of them until they were banned in Florida.

If the firearm can be fired from the pocket holster they are not allowed here.???
Old September 6, 2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I've owned and caried two or three of them until they were banned in Florida.
Are you sure? I've never heard of that.

They do come close to crossing the line into AOW territory, but apparently, they're OK as long as the slide is visible. It's an absolutely wretched idea from a safety standpoint, though.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:35 PM   #5
twhidd

Disguising the gun as something besides a gun is illegal. As long as the slide is exposed it is still obviously a handgun and should be legal. That has always been my understanding.
Old September 7, 2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Microgunner

Not sure on the fine points but many years back a big media thing was made of the banning of wallet holsters that allow firing from the holster and warnings not to carry were many and stern.

I'll see if I can find mention of this law's current status.
Old September 7, 2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Microgunner

I just looked up the law and it specifically refers to High Standard derringers which is what we were carrying back then as well as American Derringer center fire double action derringers.

So, the visible slide might be the difference.
Old September 7, 2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Don P

Quote:
I just looked up the law and it specifically refers to High Standard derringers which is what we were carrying back then as well as American Derringer center fire double action derringers.
Do you have a link to the law? I would like to read it.

This has me puzzled,

Quote:
Disguising the gun as something besides a gun is illegal.
How does anyone know you are disguising the gun when we do not have open carry?????

After looking at the link you may as well carry without the holster. Plenty of room for something in one's pocket to get caught up in the trigger guard.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; September 7, 2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old September 7, 2012, 09:40 PM   #9
twhidd

A gun disguised as something besides a gun is considered an AOW (any other weapon) according to the ATF. This is like the pager guns I remember seeing in the 1980s, or a zip gun. A gun disguised as a wallet would fall into that category.
Old September 7, 2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

It's a gray area. 26 USC § 5845 (e) vaguely defines the concept of an "any other weapon (AOW)" as follows:

Quote:
any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore *
While they can be concealed, handguns themselves are exempted by the last sentence. However, if the holster turns it into a gadget that's not readily identifiable as a handgun but fires bullets, it becomes an AOW. Think pen guns, cane guns, and that goofy H&K briefcase MP5.

From the ATF, in 1997:

Quote:
During the 1970’s, ATF determined that various small handguns combined with certain “wallet holsters” fall into the “any other weapon” category and are subject to the provisions of the NFA. These wallet holsters are generally rectangular in shape, are designed to disguise the appearance of the handgun, and are designed to allow the weapon to be fired while it is contained within the wallet. The handgun combined with the wallet holster constitutes an NFA firearm.
That last part is how jerks at the gun shows get away with selling the holsters to unsuspecting buyers. As long as it's just the holster, it's OK. The problem arises when you stick a gun in it.

Quote:
A conventional pistol or revolver which is possessed without the wallet holster would not be an NFA firearm. A wallet holster alone is not subject to NFA controls and cannot be registered or transferred as a firearm. Firearms contained in conventional holsters, trouser pockets, purses, gun cases, or various other forms of carrying cases have not been determined to fall within the definition of an “any other weapon,” even though it maybe possible to discharge a firearm while it is carried in such a manner.
Here's another letter from the ATF which confirms the idea that if a device that conceals the nature of the weapon and the weapon can be fired through it, it's an AOW. Both conditions have to be met.

So, the ones with exposed slides are technically legal. There's still a risk of significant hassle until somebody figures that out, however.

Also, getting shot in the jiggly bits. Not good from what I've gathered.

(* Bonus points to anyone who knows where that last bit came from.)
Old September 10, 2012, 07:59 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

1st off I would suspect that Cabela's wouldn't sell them, if they were not legal...

I bought one, it should be here today... just wanted something that wouldn't print a gun in a tighter jeans pocket... I actually have one about 1/2 done, that also holds a spare mag ( I like to make holsters in my spare time... which I've had none of lately, which is why it's only 1/2 done ) I'm not as worried about being able to shoot it from the holster, as I am giving a square print in my jeans pocket...
Old September 10, 2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Drudge

If it no longer looks like a handgun then it is illegal but since the wallet doesn't hide the shape of the handgun it is perfectly legal. This according to the video I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79PXfkmaYJs
Old September 10, 2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
This according to the video I found
When it comes to legal advice, fewer statements can frighten me more.

While it appears the guy in the video is correct, one must be very wary of using any source from the internet for legal guidance.
Old September 10, 2012, 05:07 PM   #14
Drudge

Yeah you have a good point there
Old September 10, 2012, 05:20 PM   #15
dos0711

I went with the DeSantis Super Fly...fits my pocket nicely.
Old September 10, 2012, 11:16 PM   #16
Yung.gunr

The law is not the first thing that came to my mind when I saw these. For me, if I'm going to pocket carry, I want something that protects the trigger from being inadvertently pulled. This clearly does not accomplish this.

-1 for me..

My pocket holster is just a cheap nylon one that does very well at protecting the trigger gaurd and breaking up the lines of the gun. It even has a pocket on the other side so you can carry gun against you or gun side out. Works great for $12.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:30 PM   #17
ZOOM2X

I'll take a stab at the source of the rifled bore exception to the law banning concealable weapons --- The NRA

Lee Davis

NRA Benefactor