The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 6, 2006, 11:14 PM   #1
brookfries

LC Smith manufacture year?

I have determined my gun to be a 12 gauage double barrell hammer gun. The SN is 28400 F. It was pattened on Mar 29, 88. How do I determine if the gun was manufactured in 1895 (12 guage hammer gun) or 1920 (all types and gauges)?
Old August 7, 2006, 07:48 AM   #2
hoghunting

www.lcsmith.org I found this site searching for info for my L C.
Old August 7, 2006, 11:02 AM   #3
johnbt

I'm at work now, but I saw you other post about "The LC Smith Trap Gun". This is getting better and better.

You see what I mean about the serial numbers. Let's see, what does it say on the top of the gun? Maybe we can narrow it down by the precise wording of the company name; look for, say, HUNTER ARMS CO., MAKERS, FULTON N.Y.

Is there any engraving on the sides? Maybe a duck or a quail.

I need to go buy a sandwich, but I'll check in later.

John
Old August 7, 2006, 11:11 AM   #4
johnbt

Well, I haven't left yet. I knew I'd seen an "F" somewhere.

www.doublegun.com/waltschiessl.html

"L.C. smith sold the company to John Hunter and Family in 1888. The baker 3 BRL. Guns were in grade quality 1 thru 5 and the double brl. Guns qualities A thru F – both were hammer guns the L.C. smith Syracuse guns were AA-A-B-C-D-E-F Hammer guns. The hammerless qualities 2 thru 7-1886-1888."

Slowly but surely.

I'm interested in the pictures, but let's leave that for later. Just taking a stab in the dark, is there any gold at all on this gun?

John
Old August 7, 2006, 11:41 AM   #5
johnbt

Forget the gold, the scale starts with F and works up.

www.lcsmith.org/shotguns/1880grades.html

"The Smith hammer gun was available in either 10 or 12 gauge. The following were the Qualities offered in the 1884 catalog:

• Quality F – Best English stub twist barrels, American walnut stock, pistol grip, checkered and engraved, $55.

• Quality E – Good Damascus steel barrels, good American walnut stock, checkered and engraved, pistol grip, $70.

• Quality D – Fine Damascus steel barrels, good imported English walnut stock, nicely checkered and engraved, pistol grip, $95.

• Quality C – Fine Damascus steel barrels, fine imported English walnut stock, fine checkering and engraving, pistol grip, $125.

• Quality B – Extra fine Damascus steel barrels, finer imported English walnut stock, fine checkering and engraving, pistol grip, $150.

• Quality A – Very fine Damascus steel barrels, extra fine imported English walnut stock, extra fine checkering and engraving, pistol grip, $200.

• Quality AA – Finest Damascus steel barrels made, finest imported English walnut stock obtainable, finest checkering and engraving, complete in workmanship, pistol grip, $300."