The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 20, 2014, 05:51 AM   #51
B.L.E.

As far as I know, the NMLRA only allows scopes on slug guns in their matches. I'm pretty sure the shooter was using click adjustable aperture sights and had a row of wind flags downrange to let him know when the conditions were right to shoot.
Old March 20, 2014, 06:53 AM   #52
2damnold4this

Quote:
Sorry for the slight thread veer OP.

No problem. I'm enjoying seeing what a proper set up can do with a good shooter. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to try some of the good advice given on this thread. : )
Old March 20, 2014, 11:24 AM   #53
kwhi43

BLE is right, but we do have scoped pistol matches.
Old March 31, 2014, 06:52 AM   #54
2damnold4this

I know it has been a few weeks but I finally have a range report.

The patch material was cut from a surplus Dutch shelter half and measured .014". The powder was fffg Goex. The target was a large sheet of cardboard at 28 yards.

The first shot hit about eight inches high and slightly to the left of the bulls eye. The second shot makes the first hole bigger! On the third shot, I'm having trouble with the trigger and pull a few inches right and about an inch low from where the first two shots hit. I forget to swab the bore before loading the fourth shot and it takes a lot of effort to load for about ten inches and then gets easy. The trigger seems to be getting worse and the shot lands about six inches higher than the rest of the "group." I find the patch and there is a hole in the center which makes me think it tore on loading. Then things get interesting. I try to put the rifle on half cock and it won't stay. I pull the lock off and it seems okay out of the rifle. That's when I realize the problem is with the trigger. Recoil has cracked the stock and jammed the trigger.

I want to thank everyone who gave advice as until the cheap stock started cracking, the rifle seemed to shoot better than ever. The bore also looks better the more I shoot and clean it. It may be a while before I get the rifle going again but I appreciate all the good advice.