The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 23, 2009, 07:21 PM   #1
dapster

Barrel Lead Removal from Colt 45 SAA

I'm unable to remove leading just downstream from the forcing cone. I've used Chore Boy Copper Scrubbers, the Lewis Lead Remover and a lead removal cloth cut into patches. I've also used Hoppes No. 9.

The ammunition used was Magtech's Cowboy Action Loads (45D), 250 grain, flat point lead bullet.

Assuming it can be done, how do you get rid of such lead? Or, do you just live with lead smears as a permanent fixture?
Old April 23, 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
long rider

You can use brass mesh, its a led removell kit.
there is a rod and a cone block, and a rubber
exspander, i have no camra so no pics, you can
buy these kits in most gun good gun shops , if
you are not sure what i mean i will go into more
detail.
Old April 23, 2009, 08:28 PM   #3
CaptainCrossman

Rem-clean

By far the best lead remover I have ever used in my life, is "Rem-Clean" made by Remington and sold in a small green plastic bottle. Just last week I cleaned a very leaded gun out with it- a Ruger Single Six 22 cal. 1960's vintage, the area between barrel forcing cone area and topstrap was filled solid with lead from shooting it for decades. I had cleaned the gun thoroughly before but never was able to remove that lead, even with a sharp knife trying to dig it out. I applied REM-CLEAN from the bottle directly on the area- then started scraping at the lead with a small pearing knife blade- much to my surprise, the Rem-Clean melted the lead out like putty- when before it had been rock solid and would not budge. I had this bottle of cleaner in cleaning kit my dad left to me. I used all of it and intend on buying more.
Old April 23, 2009, 11:21 PM   #4
Fingers McGee

I cant find Rem-Clean on the Remington site. Ya think it might be Brite Bore solvent & cleaner now?
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 24, 2009, 08:53 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

For a buildup of lead I have had very good results with the screen kits that long rider posted. Then use bore solvent to keep the build up in check.
Old April 24, 2009, 08:57 AM   #6
zxcvbob

You could find an old gunsmith that still has a bottle of mercury...
Old April 24, 2009, 10:26 AM   #7
long rider

Like madcrtebuilder said, when i ran out of screens
i could not get spares and i was not going to get
another kit, so i went to a craft store and i found
a sheet of fine brass mess 24+24 sheet for 6 bucks,
so i just cut out small rounds now i have millons of
them.
Old April 24, 2009, 01:20 PM   #8
hickok45

Some will disagree and caution you against it; however, I've done it successfully for almost 40 years. I always have some jacketed bullets loaded for all calibers. Before I quite my shooting session, I fire a cylinder of jacketed round through the gun, whether it be .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, etc. That pretty much takes care of the leading and has never caused any damage.

Now, if you get one leaded up really badly, this might not be advisable. Also, since I converted to using Ballistol with all my guns, I notice lead doesn't seem to stick in the barrels as much.

Some will "freak" at this suggestion, but 40 years of successfully doing it speaks for itself.

Hickok45
Old April 24, 2009, 08:20 PM   #9
long rider

Yeah i been told of that to g glock.
Old April 27, 2009, 07:10 PM   #10
buckspen

Removing Lead

Rem-Clean is/was a bore cleaner/lubricant with a very fine, self degrading abrasive in it. It was originally a product called Gold Medallion which was made by United States Products, Inc., a company which made industrial abrasives. They sold the product to Remington and they renamed it.
I use the original Gold Medallion and it is quite effective in getting out stubborn trace leading. I usually use a Lee Lead Remover kit to get out the big stuff, then the GM to finish off.
I don't know if Rem-Clean is still manufactured but if it's not, you may find some on dealer's shelves. Years ago, I found several bottles of the original Gold Medallion on the shelf at a gun store and bought all he had.
There is another product that works similarly. It's called JB Bore Paste and I believe that is still available commercially. It's similar to the above named products in the way it works. That is to say, it's a very mild degrading abrasive in a paste form rather than suspended in a liquid.

- - Buckspen
Old April 27, 2009, 07:31 PM   #11
armsmaster270

deleted

Last edited by armsmaster270; April 27, 2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: already covered