The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Idlechater

.243 Prairie Dog load w/ 1 in 9" twist rate

Gentlemen:

I am the proud new owner of my fathers Ruger #1 .243 rifle. He is getting too old to care for the firearms collection, so he has asked that I take over duties.

I plan to take him prairie dog hunting this spring and want to work up a load for him to shoot the critters with. He has told me that 20 years ago when he was reloading, he was unable to come up with a light bullet weight that the gun would shoot. I am not a reloading guru, but understand that the twist rate of a rifle will affect the bullet weights that it will shoot.

If those of you who are more knowledgable than I could help me understand if there is a particular light weight bullet (say 70 grains or less) that his #1 with a 1 in 9" twist might shoot well, I would appreciate it.

Regards,
Old January 19, 2009, 06:52 PM   #2
tom234

Twist rates come into play for longer heavier bullets in that they require more spin to stabilize. For your 1:9 barrel you should be good up to 100 grains and those less than that should shoot OK. Perhaps your father couldn't find the right bullet/powder combination.
http://www.shilen.com/calibersAndTwists.html
Old January 19, 2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Shoney

The 1/9 is best for 95-105 grain bullets. It should shoot the 85gr bullets very well, but lighter is a crap shoot. Some brands of lighter bullets may or may not shoot well.

Personally I have found the 85 HPBT Sierra will be very accurate in the 243.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 19, 2009, 08:19 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I'd agree with the guys above. I never feed my 1-9twist .243 anything less than 70 grain. I have had great luck with Bergers....95grn vld...seated .020" off lands. You have to check to see it this OAL will fit your magazine (because chances are it will be more than the recomended OAL stated in the manuals)....if it doesn't you can single-shoot 'em. Take care of those guns and good luck to your and your dad.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 20, 2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Idlechater

Gentlemen:

I appreciate your input.

If I understand Tom correctly, the problem lies with understabilizing the bullet and not overstabilizing. In otherwords, my 1 in 9" twist rifle should spin a lighter bullet plenty fast enough to stabilize it.

I have had some pretty good luck with VMax bullets in my 204 Ruger so perhaps I will get some of their 65 grain bullets and see what I can work up.
Old January 20, 2009, 01:06 PM   #6
10 Spot Terminator

Hello Idlechater,

I shoot a Rem 700 CDL with a 9 1/4 twist and my varmit load uses a 70gr. V-Max behind 45grs. of H414 that shoots just under 1/2" groups @ 100 yds. if that helps you at all.