The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 5, 2008, 12:13 PM   #1
target75

Pitting Removal

Hello,

I recently acquired an 870 12ga wingmaster.It's about 15 years old and it has some pitting on both sides of the receiver(about 10-12 little pin heads on both sides). Can this pitting be removed without damaging the finish and how can it be done?

Thanks Tom
Old September 5, 2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

No, it can't. Leave it alone.
Old September 5, 2008, 04:11 PM   #3
ISC

You can try to hide it, but pitting means that rust removed metal. There is no way to addd metal short of electroplating or welding, which wouldn't do what you want in this case.

You could fill the holes with putty and paint the entire weapon afterwards, but that would be purely cosmetic and I wouldn't do it if I were you.
Old September 5, 2008, 04:28 PM   #4
RetiredLawman

Take a penny and scrape the rust off. The copper is softer than the steel and won't harm it. Then use 0000 steel wool to complete the job and smooth the rough edges some. Buy a blueing pencil at your nearest gun shop. The pitting will still show but it won't be as noticeable.
Old September 5, 2008, 07:04 PM   #5
zippy13

Flitz

For blue and in-the-white engraved surfaces, I use Flitz polish sparingly. You could give it a try starting in an unexposed area. But, there's no magic cure for corrosion damage. Of course, there's always a cheat: Stop the rust and then put a name tag or race gun sticker over the offending area. I'm crazy enough that I might put p-gun stickers on a 870; but, I might make changes to see if anyone notices.

Old September 5, 2008, 07:10 PM   #6
TxGun

A bead-blast & blue refinish can sometimes hide some of the pitting. Or you could parkerize it. That would hide some of it. But it won't look like a Wingmaster anymore. It will look more like an Express or one of the Police models. In any case, you still may see some of the pits, unless they are very small. Ask a competent gunsmith/refinisher and see what he thinks about your case.
Old September 6, 2008, 11:19 AM   #7
target75

Thanks guys for the info. Except for the pitting this wingmaster is in pretty good shape,so I think I'll just leave it alone.

Thanks Tom
Old September 6, 2008, 01:58 PM   #8
mikenbarb

Cerama coat it.

Go to Brownells and get a cerama coating kit. I will put a thin layer of ceramic finish on the gun hiding the pitting and it will look good also. BUT, It will have a duller finish and wont be shiney like the Wingmasters blueing. I would recommend this over the others mentioned because its also weather proof and tough as nails. If your using it for a hunting gun and not worried about having the original blued steel look, Go for it! I did one of my 1100's with it and I love the way it looks and holds up to the weather.
Old September 6, 2008, 06:18 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Mikenbarb
Ceramacoat is not ceramic. It is just good paint.
Old September 7, 2008, 10:16 AM   #10
kraigwy

Piting can easily be removed by draw filing, it will not screw up any of the lettering if done properly keeping the file flat. Use only as course file as needed, switching to finer files. Then draw file using fine grit emery paper on the file. Depending on how much time and effort you put into it, you can get a mirror finish that exceeds the polish of a factory gun. Then of course the gun needs to be thrown into a bluing tank.

If you dont think you can do it, then take it to a good gunsmith and have it polished (drawfilled) and re-blued.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 7, 2008, 10:49 AM   #11
RoscoeC

Quote:
Piting can easily be removed by draw filing, it will not screw up any of the lettering if done properly keeping the file flat. Use only as course file as needed, switching to finer files. Then draw file using fine grit emery paper on the file. Depending on how much time and effort you put into it, you can get a mirror finish that exceeds the polish of a factory gun. Then of course the gun needs to be thrown into a bluing tank.
Finally, the right answer.
NRA Life Member
Old September 7, 2008, 11:17 AM   #12
mikenbarb

+1 Bill. I didnt realize that and thought with the baking process there was a ceramic base powder to it to make it tougher. Why is it called cerama coat? I dont get it.
Old September 7, 2008, 01:29 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

It may have some powder in it, but the base is paint. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I'm sure the "ceramic" or whatever it is adds abrasion resistance.
Old September 7, 2008, 03:30 PM   #14
TxGun

If you dont think you can do it, then take it to a good gunsmith and have it polished (drawfilled) and re-blued.

Sometimes, not always. Depends entirely on how deep the pits are, and where they are. I work part-time in a friend's gunshop and he has a good gunsmith/refinishing service. We have guns come in that have pitting so deep that realistically, they can't be filed out without taking away far too much metal. Heck, I've seen pitting at least as deep as the lettering on some guns and that's not all that rare.
Old September 7, 2008, 04:47 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

Roscoe
My answer to the original poster was correct.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:05 PM   #16
mikenbarb

+1 Bill. He's right. Just leave it be.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:25 PM   #17
RoscoeC

Sorry, Bill, I don't want to start a contentious exchange, but why in the world would you think that slight pits cannot be removed? They clearly can, I have done it, and the technique that kraigwy describes is exactly right.

Granted, Target75 DID say "without damaging the finish", and the draw filing technique would require re-blueing, but if one wants to remove pits this is the way, and the Wingmaster certainly has plenty of material to accomplish this without compromising the safety or functionality in any way.

This technique may be beyond the capability of some, but that is their decision to make.

I'm not saying that leaving it be isn't a good option, but if you want to remove pits the only way to accomplish this is via stock removal, and draw filing is a good way to do it without any special equipment. It is accomplished slowly, and is very controllable. The results can be, as pointed out by TxGun, very good.

I always enjoy reading your posts, and you are clearly knowledgeable, but this one kind of puzzles me.
NRA Life Member
Old September 7, 2008, 07:31 PM   #18
Bill DeShivs

" Can this pitting be removed without damaging the finish and how can it be done?"
The OP didn't ask for a dissertation on refinishing. He asked a simple question and I answered it. He wanted to know if there was some way to do the impossible.
Certainly, there are various methods for refinishing guns and removing pits-but that's not what he asked. Draw filing is a good way to lower the surface below the pits, as is belt grinding. But I digress-that is not the question asked.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:56 PM   #19
qwik

Thanks

This is good information , may just have to give this a try on one of my oldies first , thanks
Old September 7, 2008, 09:24 PM   #20
TxGun

Really, the best answer remains take it to someone experienced, with a good reputation, and get a professional opinion. Not saying there isn't a lot of knowledge here on this forum...there clearly is. But no one can really give you the best advice without the gun in hand to examine. Ask around and you'll find someone around you who is qualified.