The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 23, 2002, 08:16 PM   #1
LASur5r

Armed and dangerous?

Are you considered armed and dangerous at your work place? Or at least dangerous?

Is it because folks in your office see you looking at gun web sites?

Or do you mostly look at TFL? Many of my coworkers see me opening the home page of TFL and they already put me in the "potentially dangerous category......in the event I get ticked off or am fired..

That's okay, I was in the potentially crazy and dangerous category because I'm a 'Nam vet.

What category are you in? Or what category should you be in (make up your own category.)
Old August 23, 2002, 09:34 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

By some; Yes.

Sam
Old August 24, 2002, 01:59 AM   #3
SamH

I'm considered a "psycho" by most of my friends. I don't pack a gun (it's illegal here), but I've been training in martial arts for quite some time. Although I've never hurt anyone (neither intentionally or by accident), some people just see the aggression during 'physical discussions' and shrink to half their size.
Old August 24, 2002, 05:07 AM   #4
MikeTx

The ones who think that about me, are ones that are so stupid, I wouldn't piss in their face if they were on fire.

Them - "Nobody needs an AK47"

Me - "I hope I never need mine"

Them - "What are you gonna do with that concealed handgun"

Me - "Nothing - around friendly people"

Them - "Just call the police if you are threatened"

Me - "Where are the police now"

Them - "No one is hurting you now"

Me- "If a criminal pulled pulled a pistol out right now and shot you in the head, how could you stop them"

Them - "you need help dude"

Me - "FU"
Old August 24, 2002, 07:01 AM   #5
shy_man

I am considered dangerous for they see my CCW printing sometimes unintentionally. Oh! actually I owned the workplace so nobody question me even customers. Also, several competition pictures are hanged on the wall. These are just a a warning to unexpected holdupper visitors coming in the workplace.
Old August 24, 2002, 10:15 AM   #6
Hellequin

Some people at work may be concerned about my handgun...so I am very careful not to let them know that I am armed. I do not read gunzines in the office. Neither I take a look to TFL at work. Most of the people on my workplace are proguns....the others just doesn´t seem to care....

Lucky me..
Old August 24, 2002, 10:29 AM   #7
GunFool

The average person at my place of work would never ever imagine that I would own or carry a gun. I don't 'advertise' my use or interest in firearms, although I don't hide it either. In fact the subject rarely ever comes up. I don't think most people (that is, non-shooters) really think about guns as things that ordinary every-day people can posess. For them, guns only exist on television or in the hands of criminals. This may be why people react in many ways when they find out that we have guns. Some experience denial ("...no way, not HIM...") while others feel challenged ("...you think you are a tough guy?...") or intimidated ("...why would you need one of those?..."). In today's world I wouldn't blame anyone for feeling a little uneasy around someone they know owns or carries firearms. I carry and there are still some gun owners that I don't like to be around for the simple fact that any idiot can own a gun, and anyone can lose their temper. It's no different from driving on the road - there are good motorists and then there are those who are careless, overtired, inexperienced, or just downright dangerous. Personally, I guess I may be considered 'armed and dangerous' by some, a responsible citizen by others.
Old August 24, 2002, 05:57 PM   #8
Ben Shepherd

Most at work who know me consider me armed at all other times, but not at work due to company policy.

None consider me dangerous that I am aware of, but no one to trifle with either.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old August 27, 2002, 03:54 PM   #9
igor

I guess that despite the 100 lbs black russian terrier's nose on my office door mat I'm considered more like "funny". No, wait a sec... it is the dog! A great stress reliever for colleagues, too.

And it being a security company there're always plenty of guys bigger and meaner than me around: in-house krav maga instructors, little but vicious account managers with razor sharp opening lines... but no CCW, this is Scandinavia and thank God for that.
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004
Old August 28, 2002, 07:13 AM   #10
jmlv

If I had a dollar for every time I heard.

"let me know ahead of time befour you machinegun the place so I can be off that day" I would have retired already! And this becouse I own and shoot handguns! And make no bones about enjoying it. I also vocially support the RKBA and legal concieled carry. for this I get "machinegun" comments(and I could'nt even own an "Assult rifle" in NJ let alone a full auto weapon. then there is the comment about just walking into a gun shop and "buying guns like candy over the counter" These folks obviously never tried to buy a handgun in the state of Nazi Jersy.
thanks god I finually got out of NJ. Makes work a bit easier to take<VBG>
MOLON LABE!
Old August 29, 2002, 12:10 AM   #11
imadork

Without exception, when the subject comes up they act with surprise and apprehension, especially the VW Jetta driving, retro glasses-wearing sorority girls I knew in college (you know the ones I mean):
"Why do you need a gun!?"
"This country is about want, not need. And I hopefully won't have to use it. But if I have to use it, I'm ready."
"Isn't that a little paranoid?"
"The fact that you are asking me that question tells me that you've never thought deeply about human nature, our society, its legal system, its enforcement system, or the possibility that one day you yourself may need a fire-arm."
"I'll never need a gun! What does it [i.e. owning arms] say about our society?"
"It says that our society has certain liberties which need to be exercised so they don't atrophy and become obsolete. It says that we value individual sovereignty in society."
"You really ARE crazy. Stay away from me and my family."
"Gladly."
Old August 29, 2002, 01:16 AM   #12
wingnutx

I had some nameless coward go to our director and complain about my "GeeksWithGuns" screen saver (made up of Oleg Volk images, mostly). He made me remove it. My immediate boss was pissed that someone did that.

Immediately after this we simply made everyone use a standard screen saver, in the name of network security. I still have whatever RKBA desktop images I want, and have pictures of my heavily armed fellow squids pinned up in my cube. My floor is all computer engineer types, lots of vets, and many gun owners. Probably a couple think I'm a babykiller or something.
Old August 29, 2002, 07:50 AM   #13
nbk2000

At work I'm "The Bomb Guy", "The Mad Bomber", "Unabomber", or "Ted Kazinzski (SP?)" because I make my own fireworks for the 4th.

But that's alright. Come the 4th, these same morons are paying MY prices for MY fireworks.
Old August 29, 2002, 10:02 AM   #14
Blackhawk

No. At least I don't think so....