The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 3, 2008, 08:48 PM   #1
Calhoun123

Any top quality +3 extensions for Rem 870s?

Wilson and Vang Comp make +1 and +2 extensions for the 870 and they are top quality. Does anyone make an equally good +3 extension? I think I have had Choate and maybe a Tac-star and they are not on the same level. In fact, I think both had plastic plugs in the end of the tube with the metal just crimped to keep them in place (not a confidence building design).

Thanks for any feedback.
Old September 3, 2008, 09:45 PM   #2
paul salchow

870 extensions

Factory +3 work if installed correctly but are a bit ugly, the tac-star we use are all metal construction and silver soldered together.
I have never had one fail yet but if you don't like them don't use them, trust is a big deal when it comes to a gun part.
I don't know of any others off hand but i will look around.
Old September 3, 2008, 11:47 PM   #3
King Ghidora

My Choate doesn't have any plastic parts. It is used and I don't know how old it is but it seems very sturdy to me. It's a tube that attaches the OEM tube. As long as it's sturdy and free of obstructions inside I can't see what could go wrong. The Choate I have is ok in both of those departments.

From what I've heard and what makes sense the follower is important with any extenstion tube. I bought a better spring on the advice of Scattergun Bob and it has improved my action considerably.

I haven't actually installed my Choate yet because I have the dimples and I don't want to void the warranty by modifying the tube to work with extensions but from what I've heard Choate makes a fine piece of equipment. For one thing mine came with clamps to connect the extension to the barrel so that alone should make the Choate sturdy.

But again mine is in a box with all the needed parts waiting for my warranty to expire. I might not even install it if I get to thinking it might cause problems but for now I don't forsee any.
Old September 4, 2008, 06:46 PM   #4
MAX100

The Choate tube extensions are very well made. They do have a polymer plug in the end. The plug will never need to be replaced in yours or your kids Lifetime. Their one piece tube ext is made of high quality steel. The Mossberg 930 SPX factory tube ext is made by Choate.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; September 6, 2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old September 6, 2008, 07:24 PM   #5
Jeff F

I agree with all the above.