The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 20, 2010, 12:22 PM   #1
bighead46

Thumb buster jams

I originally asked this Question in the revolver thread but didn't get response so I'm asking it here as more of you that read this thread probably deal with the Colt SSA. I have a Colt SSA chambered for 45 Colt. Recently, while the gun is unloaded, I'll start to cock the hammer and everything jams right away before the cylinder starts to move. I don't see the bolt drop at all, so the hand seems to be pushing the cylinder before the bolt drops. I could just assume this is the problem and try bending the tail on the bolt that contacts the cam on the hammer BUT thought it may be worthwhile to ask here first -in case it is something entirely different that I'm not seeing. In any event all help appreciated.
Old November 20, 2010, 01:26 PM   #2
mykeal

My first thought is that the trigger/bolt spring is broken, jamming the bolt in place. But your comment about the gun being unloaded makes me question that; do you mean to say this only happens when the gun is unloaded, and when you put cartridges in the chambers it functions correctly?
Old November 20, 2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Hawg

If it isn't a broken spring like Mykeal says(and mykeal is almost always right)take the cylinder out and cock the hammer slowly. You might be able to tell whats going on that way. Maybe the hand is binding.
Old November 20, 2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Model-P

Quote:
I originally asked this Question in the revolver thread but didn't get response so .........blah, blah, blah
!
I responded yesterday and you responded back before posting this here. WTH!

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430407
Old November 20, 2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Hawg

Hmmm, he got a couple of responses. Guess he didn't get the one he wanted
Old November 20, 2010, 03:47 PM   #6
zippy13

Perhaps he's moved on to "The Smithy" forum.