The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 2005, 04:32 PM   #1
HOKIEHUNTER

wasn't sure where to ask this but i'll go for it

A buddy of mine reloads .30-30 and gave me a few reloads before i got into reloadin to see how they shot. well he said he's shot his for years without problems so i went ot the range with a box of 20 and on my 9th shot my gun kinda jammed up. i was able to pull the lever and eject the shell, but now the lever is pretty much locked open and i can't get it shut. I'm shootin a marlin 336. what do i do / is my jun a pile of junk now?
Old November 4, 2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Jim Watson

contact marlin they can fix it or tell you it is ruined better than anybody else
Old November 4, 2005, 08:20 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

First rule of shooting

Never and I repeat never shoot someone else's reloads. If a reload is out of specs, it can and will harm a gun when it is shot. Without seeing the rifle it is very hard to diagnose what happened, but it could simply be that a piece of the case was shaved off somehow or if it was a hot load, brass could have flowed and caused the problem. Either way, like Mr. Watson said, either take it to a smith or let the folks at Marlin take a look at it. I would suggest a decent smith if one is close by but the folks at Marlin are fair folks to deal with, but at times are busy as well as a lot of smiths are at this time of the year.

Always shoot either factory ammo or ammo that you yourself loaded that was either loaded into a brand new case or one that was shot from your gun. Your buddies gun could have excessive headspace or he might not have headspaced it correctly to begin with. He might have loaded it with the wrong powder or he could have overloaded the round. There are just too many things that can go worng when you try a reload that someone else worked in another gun. Please don't ever do it again.
Old November 4, 2005, 09:36 PM   #4
yorec

Were you able to recover the ejected case form the shot that caused the problem? There may be some clues there if you could examine it... Like was the primer missing? Primers falling out and into the action can gum things up but good - and aren't uncommon in worn brass that's been reloaded a number of times.
Old November 5, 2005, 09:34 PM   #5
Harry Bonar

jammed marlin

Dear Shooter:
I cannot overemphasize what CNTRYBOY1289 said (thanks for the message CNTRYBOY1289-I sent you one back but don't know if I did it right) NEVER shoot anyones reloads.
You may be able to free your Marlin like this: Take a smooth rod (did the gun fire - yes) almost bore diameter - drop it down to the case head of the spent shell and take a medium hammer and with a smart but not heavy blow jar the case head - that might give some room to unlock your action - try it several times.
Harry B.
Old November 6, 2005, 01:11 AM   #6
cntryboy1289

Agree with Harry

Yes harry i got the message, thanks for getting back to me on it. I didn't even think to add a possible cure for the jam, but it would be what Harry suggested for you.
Old November 6, 2005, 09:41 AM   #7
jlyent

you might check the loading gate screw. i have had 3 marlin lever guns that were jammed open ,in each case the loading gate screw had loosened letting the gate jam the action.good luck.
Old November 6, 2005, 04:35 PM   #8
HOKIEHUNTER

jlyent,
looking closer at it, this appears to be EXACTLY my problem. can you give me detail on how to fix it?
which one is the loading gate screw?
Old November 6, 2005, 07:37 PM   #9
jlyent

so far i've just had to tighten the screw(it's the one right behind the loading gate,maybe3/4" back) if you really bore down hard on the lever something might have got bent but try simply tightening the screw first hope this helps,jim
Old November 6, 2005, 07:59 PM   #10
HOKIEHUNTER

thanks man, i played around with it for a whle and tightened that scrwe and now it's functioning again.

p.s. leasson learned...
Old November 6, 2005, 08:03 PM   #11
HOKIEHUNTER

well, somethin's still not right. i think pieces of my "bolt" might have broken or fallen out. can someone post or email me pictures of a marlin 336 bolt from all angles?
Old November 6, 2005, 09:26 PM   #12
Pointer

Hokie

Try e-gunparts.com...
to get an exploded diagram...

Or perhaps marlin.com

High pressures can "stick" a fired case in the chamber.
If it happens again, wait till it cools, spray WD-40 down the muzzle, wait, and then assist the ejection with a cleaning rod...

The first rule of sex and mechanics is...
"Never force it."
Old November 6, 2005, 10:58 PM   #13
HOKIEHUNTER

alright, well i got everything in working order now, but my trigger is really loose and sloppy. when i pull it goes bang, but it wiggles around excessively, if you know what i mean. without shooting i can move the trigger foreward about a .25" i really can't remember if it was like that before it got jammed, but it definetly bothers me...