The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 9, 2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Ostridge leg leather for outer holster layer ???

I'm still working on my custom holster for my S&W spur trigger with the red grips... last week I cut open the stiching on the holster I was using, that the gun fit pretty good ( it was a bit long on the bottom though ) & took a piece of my leather, & traced out a pattern... I tried to leave the belt loop fold over pretty large, as I'm doing something totally different in that area of the holster, but by the time I figured out what I wanted, I used that piece as a pattern & traced out one more, re-shaping a few areas... I now have a pattern I like alot.. I had cut out a "window" for the cylinder, but think after stitching up the belt loop area & adding a thin piece of aluminum to the top above the "window", as a stiffener ( which BTW this was a treat to work with ... ), that my "window" is now off to one side a bit too much ( so I may re-trace another, & either not cut the window out until later in the process, or cut it too small to start with, & "fit it better, as the holster is closer to getting done )

the actual piece of textured leather I need is really small, & on one web site or another I saw Ostridge leg leather tanned & dyed for a pretty reasonable price, & with a really nice scale look texture... I'm sure these colors are chrome tanned, but it would only be the outside of the holster...

...thoughts ??? anyone ever used this type of leather for the outsides of a holster ???

BTW... I've found them much cheaper than this, but this site has better pictures...

http://www.exoticleather.biz/large_v...kin002_red.htm

BTW... I think I could make some money doing Horse Harness stuff... I've already repaired a couple for MRS. MAGNUM's gal friend next door... she was so impressed, she said she could send me all the work I wanted... um... I said no thanks... just doing it as a favor for her... got no interest in sewing other peoples ( non gun ) related leather right now... I'm still trying to learn enough to do my own projects...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; August 9, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old August 9, 2010, 04:30 PM   #2
langloisandy

Ostrich

Magnum,

I have some ostrich on hand...how much do you need? (dimensions in inchXinch)

Andy
Old August 9, 2010, 04:38 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

Awesome... I'm not normally too picky... but for this gun, I'm looking for something Red, Dark Red or Burgandy, & the oddly textured leg leather, not the pin feather textured look... but I really only need a piece about 4" X 5" or so, but would be happy to buy more...
Old August 9, 2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Rifleman1776

Why not? Pretty common in some places. Ostrich is used for cowboy boots. But, personally, I wouldn't want a holster in that color.
Old August 10, 2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Dave Cole

I use exotics on almost all my holsters and sheaths.You can get Ostrich legskin as well as most any other kind of exotic from here.
http://ostrichmarket.com/

Talk to Henry, he is close by and a great guy.I do some of the sheaths and holsters for them.Dave
Old August 10, 2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks DAVE... I had been on that site a couple times looking, but hadn't noticed that they had leg leather ( though now I see they are in limited colors )

actually I found this site, which sells mostly faux print exotic hides, but they have a good price on real ostridge leg leather & have severl Burgandy hides at about $12.00... they are a lower grade ( have some small holes here & there ) bu has pics of the actual hides, & for that price I think I can find one I like...

http://www.theleatherguy.org/EXOTIC-...ich-27280.aspx

RIFLEMAN... yes, that's a bit too red, I'm actually looking at a Burgandy or dark Red, that I'll be doing some Black lace work with, to go with my lil S&W with the vintage S&W "red" grips... normally I'd be a long ways away from choosing a "red" holster