The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 13, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1
NO-BODY

Firearms shipping laws

Not sure how this works, I sent my Vaquero back to Ruger for a binding issue. They shipped it back to my house. How do they get to do that? I thought it had to be sent to an FFL address.
Old October 13, 2012, 01:47 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
NO-BODY Not sure how this works, I sent my Vaquero back to Ruger for a binding issue. They shipped it back to my house. How do they get to do that? I thought it had to be sent to an FFL address.
Federal law specifically allows the return of a repaired or replaced firearm of the same type and caliber....directly back to the customer who sent it for repair.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 13, 2012, 01:53 PM   #3
NO-BODY

Cool, Thanks. Just kinda strange to get a UPS box with a gun in it!
Old October 13, 2012, 04:18 PM   #4
DaleA

Oh my goodness!

That.....makes......sense.

(Wish the rest of the laws did.)
Old October 14, 2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Roland Thunder

Do I have to get an FFL involved if I am buying a gun from someone that lives in another state and I go pick up the gun in person. I am assuming I only need an FFL if the gun is shipped, correct, or is that for any purchase transaction across state lines?
Old October 14, 2012, 05:29 PM   #6
donato

You can only buy a handgun in your resident state. If being shipped from another state, it must go through an FFL holder.

Now, a seller can drive it to an FFL holder in your state (but, he MUST deliver it to the FFL holder, not you), you can meet him there and the FFL holder can do the transfer. You'll need to coordinate with the FFL guy ahead of time because some will only accept a handgun from another FFL holder.

Here is some good info on handgun sales/transfers/transport:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Last edited by donato; October 14, 2012 at 05:37 PM.