The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 12, 2012, 12:35 PM   #76
reticle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gats Italian
It's still a cheap stunt, not a legitimate disarming tactic.
I think the topic was about liabilities though.
Old July 12, 2012, 12:54 PM   #77
ShipWreck

Quote:
I think the topic was about liabilities though.
As I stated a few posts back - though... Its no more of a "liability" any more than any other semi... If someone gets their hands on your gun - you are screwed anyway...
Old July 12, 2012, 03:47 PM   #78
Coltman 77

wllfthn:

Quote:
As far the size, trigger pull, safety and all around feel of the gun in my hands, I love the 92fs. After reading for quite some time, I've seen a lot of mixed reviews about the CS. That really isn't a factor for me though, doesn't really change the quality of the gun. Although it would be nice to see nothing but stellar reviews for their customer service..

Anyways, I am really not in need of anything in particular, I have just always been fascinated by berettas, namely, the 92fs. A lot of reviews by owners are amazing and most people that I know who have one are absolutely in love with them.

This will probably serve as my winter carry gun. Too big to carry in the summer, though I might try it just to see.

All in all, I am looking for a really reliable, aesthetically pleasing gun, and for me, that is the 92fs. The purpose of this thread is really just to find out what I need to be watching out for. Thanks again guys!
I've owned Beretta 92FS's since 1989.

They are very accurate, devour any ammo you feed them and the backwards safety/decocker is very easy to learn.

Also for $550.00 they are a steal pricewise.

I'm always amazed at the strong passions a top notch pistol like the Beretta stirs up. Shoot and enjoy your new 92FS OP, you've got one of the most dead nuts reliable, well balanced, accurate handguns available.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old July 12, 2012, 06:27 PM   #79
dgludwig

Quote:
The adversary need only reach with the left hand, grab the slide and push outward while pinching the right side slide release button with his middle finger and slipping the left side slide release lever with his thumb. He yanks the slide forward as he steps to his right.
Then do a dosey-do and turn yourself about... C'mon, get real. If you're stupid enough to give your adversary the time and space to pull this off, you deserve to be left holding half of your pistol. I suppose if you stood still long enough, an adversary could leave you holding half of a 1911 pistol in your hand. The adversary needs only to reach with his left hand, turn the bushing counter-clockwise, grab the slide, push the slide-release out with his middle finger and yank forward as he steps to his right and...you're left holding only the frame.
Old July 12, 2012, 07:12 PM   #80
reticle

That's cute, but it's a distortion of what I described. The thread is not about the likelihood of being disarmed. The OP didn't limit the degree or probability of liability. He didn't qualify his request based on a common amount of training. He asked what are the cons. To the extent that an opponent can with one hand disassemble the gun, it is a liability....to me. If it's not to you because you are an ultra tactical operator, fine, but not everyone is. It may not occur to everyone to keep his distance or it might not be in the cards depending on the circumstances. Lighten up, Francis.
Old July 12, 2012, 08:20 PM   #81
Gats Italian

The "ultra tactical operator" in this thread is the Jet Li wannabe.
Old July 12, 2012, 08:54 PM   #82
labhound

This thread has turned into total BS.
Old July 12, 2012, 09:35 PM   #83
ShipWreck

Quote:
That's cute, but it's a distortion of what I described. The thread is not about the likelihood of being disarmed. The OP didn't limit the degree or probability of liability. He didn't qualify his request based on a common amount of training. He asked what are the cons. To the extent that an opponent can with one hand disassemble the gun, it is a liability....to m
That is ridiculous. If someone ca grab your gun like that, they can TAKE it. It's not as easy as you think. Dumbest reason I've seen to not buy a Beretta.

Quote:
I agree.
Old July 12, 2012, 09:38 PM   #84
cslinger

Just food for thought. If you are close enough and fast enough to Ninja dis-assemble a 92 (which is possible especially with the earlier ones, unlikely but theoretically possible), you are also close enough and fast enough to push almost any semi auto out of battery or even get your finger behind many triggers so as a SIG for example.

I myself and far,far from Ninja enough to do any of that. For that matter I am a nice guy and completely non violent so why do I have some dude with a Beretta 92 pointing at me.
Old July 12, 2012, 09:45 PM   #85
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipWreck
That is ridiculous. If someone ca grab your gun like that, they can TAKE it. It's not as easy as you think. Dumbest reason I've seen to not buy a Beretta.
I couldn't agree more. If you don't buy a Beretta because of this bit of movie silliness, you may as well buy a Glock because metal detectors can't see it.

My PX4 also strips down very easily. It's a good thing that if someone is grabbing the barrel of my gun to attempt to disarm me, they're getting shot way, way before that.
Old July 12, 2012, 10:05 PM   #86
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
No, it hasn't.

However, let's get off the ninja thing, or it will.
Old July 13, 2012, 08:30 AM   #87
cslinger

As far as the 92 goes. I resisted buying a 92 for years. Too big etc. Bought a 92A1 because.....well every gun collection needs one amiright?? and .............. I LOVE IT!!!!. Its awesome.

Like any tool it has its pros and cons but all in all its a damn fine arm.
Old July 16, 2012, 01:33 PM   #88
Woody55

The only real issue I ever had was with the magazines. If you leave them loaded for too long, the springs get weak, and you won't fire but a few rounds before the slide overrides the next round.

The solution is get two or three magazines and rotate one or two of them out every week or so.
Old July 16, 2012, 01:36 PM   #89
dgludwig

Uh oh, here we go again...
Old July 16, 2012, 04:37 PM   #90
Stressfire

Quote:
To the extent that an opponent can with one hand disassemble the gun, it is a liability....
A man should know his limitations - and taking a gun to a Jet Li fight is one of mine

OP, glad you like. I've had mine about 2 years now. I have replaced nothing and fixed nothing, and have not yet needed to.

Only complaint I would have is the polymer guide rod and trigger - but those are easily replaced with steel (allegedly, I have yet to get around to it)

As to ammo, mine loves +P and has eaten everything I've fed it, from cheap foreign crap to high dollar JHPs.

Actually just took up reloading for it, as it's the gun I shoot the most

Quote:
If you leave them loaded for too long, the springs get weak, and you won't fire but a few rounds before the slide overrides the next round.
How long is too long? I've had mine loaded pretty much constantly, never had an issue - both are factory
Old July 16, 2012, 05:10 PM   #91
Woody55

@Stressfire,

"How long is too long?"

Say six months to a year. It probably depends on who makes the magazines.

On the other hand, you can get all 15 rounds in them without breaking your thumbs. In contrast, my experience with SIG magazines was that you had to leave them loaded for at least a month to get them fully loaded.
Old July 16, 2012, 06:42 PM   #92
ShipWreck

I have had to replace springs in mags I kept loaded to 15 rounds for seval months. The mag still worked 100%, but it didn't lock the slide back anymore. I changed them to +10% springs, and nary a problem again...
Old July 17, 2012, 01:33 AM   #93
dsk

When Jet Li insta-stripped Mel's Beretta in the film it had an extra-length thumbpiece brazed onto the disassembly lever. So apparently even the Kung-Fu master needed help doing it.

The Beretta's size and trigger reach is about the only issue I really have with it. If you really hate the safety lever simply get a DAO version or decocker-only model. I've never been without a Beretta in my collection since 1991, and honestly have never seen one malfunction. I don't waste time trying to CCW mine, but for a home/shop defense piece it has few equals.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:28 AM   #94
ShipWreck

Quote:
When Jet Li insta-stripped Mel's Beretta in the film it had an extra-length thumbpiece brazed onto the disassembly lever. So apparently even the Kung-Fu master needed help doing it.
I guess everyone just glosses over the photo I posted several posts back.... So, I'll post it again... The slide release was ALREADY down

Old July 17, 2012, 12:25 PM   #95
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The slide release was ALREADY down
I think you meant "disassembly lever."

Also, every time someone posts that picture, God kills a kitten.
Old July 17, 2012, 01:17 PM   #96
pgdion

Quote:
It really depends on what you are looking for. The general complaints I've heard (but do not share) are its' grip size, "backwards" safety mounted on the slide, extra weight, etc. Now if you are talking about issues with the firearm, I have yet to shoot a Beretta with any problems
This from vyse sums it up for me too. All issues I've ever heard have been on preference items. I have 2 92FS and neither has ever had a single problem or issue of any kind. I love the guns, they are by far my favorites. The grip is a tad large but I do like the feel of it (for me the Cougar is the perfect size). The safety, many will claim it's backwards, I maintain that the safety design on the Beretta is the correct way to do it and ... it's not just Beretta (Rugers and Smiths both have a similar safety design). As for weight, the CZ and my 5906 are heavy, this one is just right.

Last edited by pgdion; July 17, 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelled issues as iddues (and spell check thought it was ok ???)
Old July 17, 2012, 01:34 PM   #97
pgdion

Quote:
But blaming Beretta for Taurus' sins? That's a beyond the pale first.
AT BEST, the PT-99 is a license built copy of a Model 92 from the late 70s ...
AT WORST, the PT-99 is a shoddy clone ...
Well put Gats. The PT-99 is based on the original 92. That's like a 5 generation old design (92, 92S, 92SB, 92F, 92FS ... did I forget any?). I don't even think it was licensed, it was just an old design that all the patents had run out on.

For many reasons, unless you're collecting, I wouldn't even consider any models prior to the 92F. I have about 2000 rounds through my first one. Never a problem, never a worry, most accurate gun I own by far. Now I want a 96A1!
Old July 17, 2012, 01:43 PM   #98
ShipWreck

Quote:
I think you meant "disassembly lever."
You are correct - although, I did post it correctly on page 3. I have to type in the dark in the morning, so I do not wake up my son. With just monitor light, and trying to be brief because of that, I made a slip up there...

Quote:
Also, every time someone posts that picture, God kills a kitten.
Old July 17, 2012, 03:54 PM   #99
dsk

Shipwreck, it would appear that we're both right. Not only was it already down, but it also had an extended lever:

Image courtesy www.imfdb.org
Old July 17, 2012, 11:35 PM   #100
Gats Italian

Quote:
Well put Gats. The PT-99 is based on the original 92. That's like a 5 generation old design (92, 92S, 92SB, 92F, 92FS ... did I forget any?). I don't even think it was licensed, it was just an old design that all the patents had run out on.
Make no mistake, the Taurus copies started off as licensed ones. The 92's first military adopter was Brazil, in 1977. This means that the Brazilian efforts predate the Italian National Police's request to move te safety levers up to the slide to ensure safer administrative handling than they had experienced with the Models 34 and 951 issued previously.

The contract specified a certain lead run of pistols from Italy, but the bulk of the contract was to set up factories and machining for domestic production. IMBEL ran one and Taurus ran one. Taurus, being a private company, has been selling clones and indigenously changed takes on the "original" 92 pretty much from the get go.

Last edited by Gats Italian; July 17, 2012 at 11:45 PM.