The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 6, 2009, 07:51 AM   #1
m&p45acp10+1

Tec tip tid bits

Thought that this might be intersting to see a few of them. If you folks would like to share a few of your tidbits of time, space, or sanity saving tips.
I will start this one off with a space saving one. I learned this from my grampa it has helped save space in the shop and helped me to keep up with the small parts and be able to find them again when rebuilding transmisions, and engines. I now use this in my reloading area to save shelf space.
I take cleaned and dried 32 oz gatorade bottles and a small screw and attatch the lids to the bottom of my wooden shelves. I can but brass in them and use labels to label the caliber. i screw the bottle into the lid and it is now out of the way, and I can see what is in it.
Old June 6, 2009, 11:36 AM   #2
jdscholer

Here's a tech-nique tip that's a real time saver when reloading on your single stage press.

This involves the use of the auto prime attachment that can be obtained for most common single stage presses. Your technique may vary depending on your die set-up.

I size all cases with my carbide sizer die, and then set my expander die up with the neck sizer/expander and decapper pin. Then with the auto prime attached to the press, I combine the deprime and reprime into one step; deprime and expand neck on the down stroke, and prime on the up stroke.

I know, I know, "But how do ya clean the primer pockets?"

I don't, and have never had a problem. If I did, I would change my method to size and deprime with one step, and expand and prime in the other after I had cleaned my cases. jd
Old June 6, 2009, 09:43 PM   #3
Randy 1911

When I have a large amount of assorted auto pistol brass to seperate, I use this sorter set. It saves a lot of time. www.shellsorter.com Just set the pan into a 5 gallon bucket and stir it with your hand. Small amounts at a time sort faster. I start with the 45 pan and let the smaller cases fall through. Then do the 40's and then the 9mm.