The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 12, 2001, 05:42 PM   #1
Aimpro

Pounds Measurement

Looking for tools to measure trigger pull resistance, etc. Can't seem to find the right sources. I have seen a slide and spring type tool in the past, and/or wonder if there are any digital devices set up for this kind of work.
Old October 12, 2001, 05:45 PM   #2
johnwill

RCBS sells a trigger pull gauge, Midway has them in stock last time I checked.
Old October 13, 2001, 07:59 AM   #3
teufelmann55

Trigger pull gages are not all that accurate-I would recommend buying trigger pull weights they cost a little more but they are much more accurate.
Old October 13, 2001, 08:36 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Aimpro, there is a digital device. I've never seen it first hand but there was a rightup about it in the American Gunsmith magazine Sept 98. Now the price at that time was $2000 so you might prefer to stick to pull gages or weights as listed above. George
Old October 13, 2001, 09:21 AM   #5
johnwill

Lyman's digital trigger pull gauge is around $50.

FWIW, I haven't found my RCBS gauge to be significantly different than the makeshift weights that I used to use, and it's a whole lot more convienent! There's also the point of exactly how accurate you need to have your trigger pull measurement, you aren't weighing powder here.
Old October 13, 2001, 01:28 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You might try a TruValue Hardware or some such. I have two spring-scales (about 1" by 1-1/2" by five inches, plus hooks) which were new probably before WW II. One goes to five pounds, by ounces; the other to around 12 pounds, by 1/4 pounds. Easy enough to calibrate. Even in today's world they look like they oughta sell for around $10.

Art
Old October 13, 2001, 01:45 PM   #7
sw627pc

One note, these various gages work fine with SA semi-autos and revovlers but are almost impossible to use with DA revolvers. As soon as the hammer drops on those, the trigger rebound spring tries to push the trigger back, and the gauge gets bounced pretty good. Weights work much better for these. May apply to DA semi-autos as well, never actually tried one.
Old October 13, 2001, 02:03 PM   #8
johnwill

I was told about the Lyman digital trigger pull gauge in another forum, I never went looking for it myself.

I just went to Yahoo and entered a search for lyman trigger pull gauge, and it returned a bunch of vendors, presumably selling the gadget. Here's a couple of the results...

Lippman

Precision Reloading
Old October 13, 2001, 11:18 PM   #9
GlockBill

I also use the RCBS premium trigger pull scale and find that it's results are in agreement with the weights - it's not accurate to 1/10 of an ounce like the Lyman, but it is worth the $20.