The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 5, 2001, 12:03 PM   #1
jtduncan

Good Screwdriver Set For Gunsmithing?

My gunsmith at my club only puts in a couple hours a week if he's lucky. He does exceptional work but with the recent high volume at most gun shops, he is even more swamped and will be taking 5-6 weeks to return jobs to the customers.

I have a SW 625 and a Ruger Redhawk that he installed Wolff/Wilson reduced spring kits into and action jobbed. Great work. But I still get a couple of light strikes. So I want to step up to the next spring to eliminate the light strikes.

I've seen a couple of good posts.

But I've been cautioned that you need the right screwdriver bits to do the job. Brownells has the Chapman Deluxe set for just about $30. Midway has an 11 and 29 piece set.

And I bet I could buy a good screwdriver set at Lowe's, Home Depot or a large hardware chain. Can I?
Old October 5, 2001, 12:17 PM   #2
plnkr1234

The tips of screwdrivers may be either hollow ground or flat ground. For gunsmithing, you want hollow ground tips because the edges are parallel and fit into the screw slot evenly and are less likely to slip and mar the screw head.

Most screwdriver sets at hardware stores have flat ground tips that look like a wedge in cross section. These do not fit into the screw slot evenly and are more likely to slip out and damage the screw head.

I have a set from Brownells under their own brand with interchangable hollow ground bits that was reasonable in price. I dont know about the other brands you mentioned but make sure they are hollow ground.

Hope this helps.
Old October 5, 2001, 05:11 PM   #3
slickpuppy

I keep a set from Chapman in my range bag and my Brownells set on my bench.
Old October 5, 2001, 06:18 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

I highly recommend the Brownell's Master set. The blades are perfect fits for most pistol side plate screws without needing to be altered. Also, different thickness blades can be bought cheap, to fit any gun screw. The blades are very hard, and they tend to break, instead of a hard to replace/expensive gun screw. New blades are around $2.00 or less.
I consider this to be the best quality set there is.

Other than extra sizes of blades, I bought the mid-size "law enforcement" handle that holds the blades by spring tension, instead of a magnet. This is handier, and sometimes I don't want the magnetic feature.
Old October 5, 2001, 08:34 PM   #5
BBBBill

Well, you won't really need them for the Redhawk, but they are a must for the Smith. Brownells sells a small set just for the S&Ws that will get you started at minimum expense. Just ask for the set that comes in the armorers tool kit, a handle with 3 bits.
Old October 5, 2001, 11:06 PM   #6
4 Eyed Six Shooter

I have to agree with the others on the Magana Tip screwdrivers from Brownells. Just so you know, if you break one, Brownells will replace it for free. You don't even have to send the broken one back, just tell them about it when you call in an order and give them the part number. If you work on Browning shotguns or other firearms with very thin screw slots, Brownells thin bit set is a God send.
Good Shooting to All John K
Old October 7, 2001, 12:23 AM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I agree with all of the above, including Six Shooter's comments on the thin blade drivers.

The dirty little secret is that a lot of pros buy cheap screwdrivers, and grind them to fit the job at hand.

Jim
Old October 7, 2001, 04:53 AM   #8
JNewell

I own all of the above; here's my $.02.

Ordinary hardware store screwdrivers aren't flat ground. The "wedge" shape will foul up the heads pretty quick, even used carefully.

The Chapman set is nice and compact, but in my experience they frankly aren't very good quality. I have had several of the bits break. I don't use it any more.

There is nothing quite like the Brownells screwdrivers. If you don't want to spring for the full set, they sell specific kits for various guns. For example, there's a set that covers most common S&W, another for Remington shotguns; there's a bit that's specific for Beretta grips; etc. I don't recall a Ruger set, but there may be, or the extremely sharp tech/customer service people might be able to tell you the specific bit sizes that you'd need. [See below -- I found one for Rugers.]

One other preference of mine -- I find the regular handles too long for good control. Brownells sells a "Law Enforcement" handle that's much shorter, and for me it gives much better control over the screw without being too small to get a good grip. The only drawback is that, unlike the longer handles, you can't store bits in the handle because it isn't hollow.

Editing to add Brownells #s:
S&W: 080-087-004
Ruger: 080-000-020 (for Blackhawk, etc.)
or search on "revolver screwdriver" and you'll get both of these and a couple of more. HTH
Old October 7, 2001, 03:00 PM   #9
DeBee

I recommend, if you are at all serious about doing your own work on guns, that you buy the Brownells Master Set right off the bat...

Recently, a set was actioned on Ebay for $50 -60 bucks might still be active...

I got the long shaft clipit and the mini magnetic in the set and later went for the Remington 870 Law enforcement set... I've started my own custom set for scope mounting too. Compact. All in one place. Quality and free replacement bits.

With careful use, you'll have no more buggered screws, scratched trigger plates or guards, or scarred wood.
Old October 7, 2001, 04:51 PM   #10
johnwill

I just stopped by the Brownells web site and spent over $200 on tools, including the master set. I've been wanting a decent set of gunsmithing screwdrivers for years, now's the time!
Old October 9, 2001, 08:10 AM   #11
Lefty

Buy the screwdriver set offered by B-Square company for $18 or so, then add the Brownell's plastic box and extra bit sets, like the Allen or Torx set -- then you're in business for 1/2 the price of the Brownell's kit. Should I also tell that the bits from both places come out of the same factory ??
Old October 9, 2001, 04:07 PM   #12
johnwill

Hmm... I have the B-Square set, but I have many European guns that have narrow slots in the screws, that's why I finally went for the gusto. I'll toss the B-Square set in my range bag...
Old October 10, 2001, 04:56 PM   #13
pwiz

Go the Brownell driver set, you will not regret it. Get a B Square set as well, they are handy too.

pwiz
Old October 10, 2001, 06:45 PM   #14
johnwill

Lefty,

While it may be true that the Brownells bits and the B-Square bits come from the same factory, they certainly aren't the same. I just received the Brownells master kit, and the bits look quite different. There's also a bit for every screw that ever lived, except the real thin slots. I missed ordering that set, so I just placed the order tonight. I'm loaded with screwdrivers!