The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2001, 07:16 PM   #1
Kaboom

Does anyone load for the Magnum Research 45/70 revolver? What powders would work for a ten inch barrel without beating the shooter to death? I'm going to do some crony playing when my dies and brass get here but any info would be apreciated.

tx bruce
Old June 8, 2001, 11:14 PM   #2
Clark

I have been shooting 405 gr lead bullets with 30 gr IMR4895 in my little Handi rifle with the hollow plastic stock. I can shoot 50 of the 30 gr handloads without any problems. It is very accurate too. 1" 3 shot groups at 100 yards is better than I do with some of my "target" rifles.

Hotter loads kick too much for me.[40 gr is so painful, that I can only shoot one shot per day]

Wimpier loads have too much drop at 100 yards if sighted in at 50 yards [10 gr Unique]

I can't speak to the 45/70 pistol recoil. The 44 mag is all I can take and enjoy it