The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2006, 10:50 PM   #1
lizziedog1

Interesting Die Label

I have a set Lee reloading dies in .32S&W. I was looking at the sizing die and it has this inscription on it: 32A/S&W. That is the exact phrase. That made me wonder what the "A" stood for. I thought it might stand for auto. I found a spent .32ACP round. I ran it through this sizing die. It went in, the primer popped, all without any effort at all. Now, the other dies in the set do not have the "A" marking on them.

Do you suppose that Lee usues the same resizing die for both the .32ACP and the .32S&W?
Old March 8, 2006, 11:02 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Yup.
Old March 8, 2006, 11:11 PM   #3
lizziedog1

JIM WATSON
Thanks. Do you think that the other dies would work in reloading the
.32ACP? Will the belling and seating die work?

You would think that the sizing die would be the most critical one.
Old March 8, 2006, 11:23 PM   #4
Leftoverdj

More than that. It'll work for .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Mag, too. With care, you can use it as a neck sizer to cobble up a box or two of ammo for a slew of milsurp stuff you might not want to buy proper dies for.

Before Lee drove the price of dies down, dies could cost as much as twice the cost of a milsurp rifle, and a lot of improvising went on.
Old March 8, 2006, 11:34 PM   #5
lizziedog1

LEFTOVERDJ
So, with the Lee .32S&W dies I can safely reload .32ACP ammo? The bullets are the same for both rounds. I would actually have all the components I need to start it up. Any trick or just go?
Old March 9, 2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Leftoverdj

You may need a different shellholder, but the dies will work. The real problem is metering the powder. Charges are tiny, and don't allow much variation. I don't load .32 ACP, just noted that I could when I read the instructions with my dies, but have had problems with some other bitty cartridges. You'll pretty much have to use a ball powder. I use a MicroDisk kit with a Lee AutoDisk for this. My Uniflow is too erratic with the very small charges.

It's tricky even to weigh every charge. The scale sensitivity is close to the available margin of error. Takes a certain amount of weight to make the scale move so there is a built in possible error of a tenth of a grain or so.