The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 6, 2002, 07:33 PM   #1
HasSpoken

Shotgunning for Idiots

Hello all!!

I need some HELP, actually I need a lot of help. I just purchased a Defender and I know nothing about SGs! Can someone(s) pls explain the wonderful world of shotgunning to me? Thanks!!!
Old October 6, 2002, 08:19 PM   #2
Mo_Zam_Beek

Three recommendations:

1. Search feature.
2. Firearms safety course.
3. 200 rounds and a day with some clay "birds" to get started.

What exactly are you looking for?
Old October 6, 2002, 09:26 PM   #3
HasSpoken

Hey!!

Actually I did hit the search button, in fact, I ve gone through 9 pages of threads on the topic of shotguns. I wud like to know the very basics of shotgunning, for instance, what does "00" mean? Besides from the box of shells saying that its a light load, is there any other way to tell if the load is light? How does the number of pellets compare ot the size of pellets? What shud I carry in my SG for HD? What shud I use to practice with? Those types of ans/ques wud be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old October 6, 2002, 09:29 PM   #4
HasSpoken

Oh, forgot to add, I ve already taken a fireamrs course and I sometimes get together with a NRA firearms instructor at the range. I intend on getting training for the SG also. This is my first SG, not my first firearm.
Old October 6, 2002, 09:31 PM   #5
johnbt

Things I learned the hard way and some odds and ends:

Use low-brass 2 3/4" shells to start, not hi-brass. They kick less.
Get your elbow up, out, and hortizontal, and then put the butt of the gun in pocket formed by your shoulder and your chest.
Hold the gun firmly against your shoulder. Very tightly, with full contact if possible.
Get one foot out in front and lean forward into the gun and the shot. Don't stand flat-footed and shoot while you're all loose-jointed and relaxed. Shoot with purpose.
Don't lean back and shoot with your shoulder up against a tree or a post. You'll be sorry.
Keep the thumb on your trigger hand away from your nose. Let your shoulder deal with the recoil.

Keep both eyes open. Concentrate on the target. Can you raise your hand and point your finger without sighting down it? Look at the target and point the shotgun. If the target is moving swing ahead of it. OTOH, if it has rifle sights you have to shoot it like a rifle.
Take a lesson from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Don't load the gun until you figure out how it works.
Don't point it at me.
When stuck in duck blind with someone you don't know, stand very close to them. It makes it harder for them to point the thing at you when you're not looking.

That's all I can think of right now. Have fun.

John
Old October 6, 2002, 11:39 PM   #6
psssniper

fer gods sakes dont put a heat shield on it

buwahahahahaaa!!!!
Old October 7, 2002, 05:47 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

00 is a size of buckshot, different from birdshot by size and mission.

Try running a search on training, that's what you need now.

Get some lessons at youre local range.

And forswear buying any gadgets. Buy ammo, use up repeat.
Old October 7, 2002, 06:19 AM   #8
S.F.S

Do a search here on TFL, type in "Shotgun guide" the poster was Rob62.
Also call Remington at 1-800-243-9700 and ask them to send you out a copy of "The Remington Guide to Shotguns and Shotshell Ammunition" there is a good sorce of info in there that helped me when I first got a shotgun.

Edit to post a link to that search...
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...der=descending

Scott
Old October 7, 2002, 08:50 AM   #9
CMichael

Go to a range and get someone there who knows what he is talking about to start you out.

Michael
Old October 7, 2002, 10:08 AM   #10
Coronach

1. Read what Dave McC wrote again.

2. As far as shot sizes goes, think backwards. Bigger numbers = less kick/penetration/damage. 6 is bigger than 4 is bigger than 0...so 6 is a lighter load than 00 Buck.

Also, the names and packaging will give you clues as well. 00 Buckshot is called 'buckshot' for a reason...same way that field loads have pictures of birds on the boxes. If you're just training, you're looking for boxes with birds on them, until you're ready to try some heavy hitters.

3. Don't start bad habits. Ease into it with light loads, under trained supervision. No need to start out with bad form or a flinch from the beginning.

4. If your shotgun says '2 3/4" shells only', do not buy 3" shells. Also, if you were thinking about 3" shells, reread point #2 above.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 7, 2002, 10:21 AM   #11
LIProgun

Suggest you follow this link and view Remington's "Guide to Shotgun Basics":

http://www.remington.com/safety/shotgunbasics.htm

Even though you have a Defender and not a Rem, this course should provide lots of useful info on the basics for you.

Also make sure you read the manual that came with your Defender. If you don't have one, contact USRAC and they'll send you one for free. You can also follow this link for a PDF version of the Model 1300 manual:

http://www.winchester-guns.com/manua...300_manual.pdf

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old October 7, 2002, 06:22 PM   #12
HasSpoken

Thanks guys/gals!

I m going to follow ur advise and thanks for the links, any more takers?