The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 12, 2001, 11:30 PM   #1
slickpuppy

SIG P210 - Can't get slide stop lever back in!

Well, I picked up a Sig P210-8-9 yesterday and last night I got around to stripping it to clean it up before going to the range this weekend.

Only problem is I can't get the stop lever back in so that the gun will cycle!

If I reinsert the lever with the slides cutout for it lined up I can't cycle the slide and the guide rod will stick out about a half inch.

If I keep the slide located so that the holes line up to insert the stem of the stop lever, the stop lever will not go in all the way because the slide keeps it from being inserted all of the way in.

Any ideas?

Last edited by slickpuppy; October 13, 2001 at 09:56 AM.
Old October 13, 2001, 08:49 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Slickpuppy, I don't have anything in print to send you. But it sounds as if something isn't in correctly. Hopefully a 210 owner wil respond. My only other suggestion would be to contact Sig and perhaps get a manual or some guidance from them. George
Old October 13, 2001, 09:54 AM   #3
slickpuppy

George,
Thanks for the reply. I took it back to the store I bought it from this morning. I had their smith look it over and his conclusion was that the slide stop lever was way off center.

It was almost impossible to remove it from the gun last night. It is a brand new, unfired P210-8-9. It is getting sent back to Sig by the dealer with a request to replace the firearm.

Cosmetically, the left grip panel was dented and the finish was scratched as well.

I am having a difficult time accepting that a manufacturer could allow a firearm with this kind of price tag out the door.
Old October 13, 2001, 02:04 PM   #4
johnwill

For that kind of money, I think I'd have noticed the cosmetic defects before it left the store!
Old October 13, 2001, 09:53 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is too late on this one but for general info, the P-210 slide stop is tricky to remove and replace.

To remove for disassembly:

Remove magazine and make sure chamber is empty. Then, hold the pistol in the right hand and keep pressure on the right hand end of the slide stop with the right index finger while using the left hand to ease the slide back so that the rear of the slide will be back about 5mm (.2 in.) past the rear of the frame. The slide stop will pop out when the right point is reached.

To install:

Place the slide in its tracks, and ease it back until the slide is in the normal position and you see the hole in the barrel cam through the hole for the slide stop pin. Insert the slide stop pin and gently push the slide stop up to the stop notch but do not try to force it in. Now ease the slide back that .2 inch again. The slide stop can be pushed back in with no problem.

Jim
Old October 14, 2001, 03:25 AM   #6
slickpuppy

Thanks Jim,
That is exactly how I was doing it. Unfortunately, the part was bent and would not go far enough in to clear the slide.

johnwill, I was definitely suffering from new toy euphoria on this one!