The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 8, 2001, 12:57 PM   #1
edwardyoung

Win94 receiver finish

Does anyone have any info on the receiver material and finish on late 60's Model 94's as opposed to traditional blued steel?
Old October 8, 2001, 02:34 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Back in the '80s at Lassen College the topic of bluing Win 94 receivers came up and it was said that the materials used in the receivers was different from barrel steel. Someone suggested that the receiver was coated with a different material which would allow the bluing to take. I can't confirm the veracity of this statement but our instructor said that sometimes it's better to cold rust blue in the manner of the old time gunsmiths (three day plus process and not that cheapie swab on & you're done stuff) than the hot dip we normally used.
Old October 10, 2001, 08:46 PM   #3
JNewell

I believe they were plated with iron or something like that, for the reason stated -- the receiver would not "take" bluing.

I don't know when they started that, and I thought they weren't doing it any more. I would have said it started in the very early 70s, though. It was, I think, a change made at the same time they dumped the stamped sheetmetal lifter and went to the cast/machined part. 69? 70? 71? Not sure!
Old October 10, 2001, 09:39 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

When Winchester went to the cast receiver for the 94, the metal would not take blue, so they plated the receiver with iron. OK if the rebluing can be done without removing the plating, but if not, they are a PITA.

Jim
Old October 11, 2001, 09:25 PM   #5
pepemarine

different solution.

since I don´t do many of these "new" 94´s here is what i do when they get here for bluing.

powder coat the receiver with black color and then beadblast slightly all the rifle. then blue everything but the receiver.
the powder coating is very cheap and good lasting as is will not fade or run with oils and chemicals.

tip 1 .- Don´t have too much powder put in the receiver since the serial number will be deleted a light coating will be more than enough and will be flatter.

tip 2 .- ty to match the bead blasting in receiver and barrel.

MOST IMPORTANT TIP .- buy yourself a copy of the gunsmith kinks series of books ( 4) they are worth every penny, best literature in the world of arms. from brownell´s.

keep blasting!