The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 8, 2001, 01:18 AM   #1
skeeter

Is this a serious wear pattern?

I am looking to buy a used Colt Diamondback in .22.The exterior looks very good except for very light scratch near muzzle. The big worry is an exact impression of the racket on the recoil shield. Here the bluing is removed and a shiney pattern of the racket is on the recoil shield . It is not a round circle but like if I took out the racket and pressed it into a inking stamp pad and then pressed it on paper. . I was surprised that a 22 cylinder could batter the recoil shield like this, especially since there is no end shake or free play here. Is this a sign of a lot of shooting? Is it normal wear in this gun?

I pulled the hammer back and the cylinder stop goes into each cylinder notch before the hammer is all the way back so this means the timing is good, right?

At $400 I do not want to buy a problem gun.It this a fair price? Thanks for your help on this one.
Old October 8, 2001, 07:01 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Skeeter, that's a normal wear pattern. I've seen it on several Colts but not all. I've never known of any problems associated with it.

$400 is a bit high going strictly by the Blue Book but I doubt you'll find one for much less. George
Old October 8, 2001, 10:47 PM   #3
skeeter

Thanks George - I can always count on you.