The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 30, 2001, 07:10 PM   #1
Jamie Young

Trigger Work on a Model 70?

I have learned how to shoot tighter groups with my FAL, Mini 14 and SKS. WHY AM I NOT SHOOTING TIGHTER GROUPS WITH MY MODEL 70 in 30/06? Is there some kind of problem with lightening the trigger pull on these guns? Ever time I have heard someone bring up the Model 70 and trigger pull I hear Groaning Is there a reason why the Military ditched this kind of Bolt Action?
Old September 30, 2001, 08:26 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The military never AFAIK even considered adopting the Model 70; by the time it came out the bolt action was considered obsolete and the M1 rifle was on its way. The military does prefer (except for special purposes) a two stage trigger pull. It is more satisfactory in combat use and less likely to be touched off accidentally.

The Model 70, like most sporting rifles, has been made "lawyer resistant" recently by an increase in the trigger pull weight. But if you can shoot well with those varying triggers, I don't think the problem with the Model 70 is too hard a pull. It is more likely that you are not used to the single stage pull and are jerking the trigger. The Model 70 trigger can be adjusted to a lighter pull, but this is tricky, and it is easy to end up with an unsafe trigger. I would try some dry firing practice first and try to learn the trigger.

Jim
Old September 30, 2001, 10:19 PM   #3
Jamie Young

I didn't mean as a Standard Issue Rifle. I read in American Rifleman a few months ago Snipers used the Model 70's in Vietnam but moved on to something else.