The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 28, 2001, 06:45 PM   #1
slickpuppy

SIG P Series - Reduced Power Mainsprings - Results

Well,
I know some of you have been interested in what installing reduced power mainsprings in the Sig P Series pistols will do for you. Thanks to all who helped me get this puppy out and in. The first time is always painful

First off, it was a Sig P228 that the installation was performed on. It has the newer plastic mainspring seat and therefore uses the shorter mainsprings from Wolff Gunsprings. The factory spring weight with the new style mainspring seat is rated at 21 pounds. For those of you with the metal mainspring seat it should be 24 pounds.

From the factory, the trigger pull in double action is rated at 10 pounds. Single action pull is rated at 4.5 pounds.

I installed an 18 pound mainspring into the pistol and achieved a double action pull of 7.5 pounds and a single action pull of 3.75 pounds. This was an average of 10 trigger releases with my "wonderful" RCBS Premium Trigger Pull Gauge.

Next, I took it over to the range and popped off some 50 rounds of Winchester white box target/range grade ammo - the cheapy Walmart 100 round bulk pack stuff. I had no misfires at all or other failures.

Later this weekend I will test with some Winchester NATO stuff that probably has harder primers and put a few hundred rounds more through the gun.

I was really impressed with the reduction in pull weight the reduced power springs provided. I have installed them in other guns with similar results, but the ridiculously heavy double action pull warranted some tinkering.
Old September 29, 2001, 05:32 PM   #2
JNewell

Be careful. I've read reports from people doing the same thing with Berettas that the mainspring needs to be replaced a lot more often than the original factory spring in order to avoid inconsistent ignition. Not a problem for a range pistol, but could be a problem with a carry pistol.
Old September 29, 2001, 08:46 PM   #3
Inspector Callahan

I recently did the same thing with my Beretta Brig Elite. Feels like a custom trigger now.
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper