The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 28, 2001, 08:09 AM   #1
Hoppy

1911 - removing nickel plating/refinishing

Hi Folks,

I'm considering buying a Colt 1911 Gov't model. It's used and put together by someone who tried to build a match gun I think.

In any case, the frame is nickel plated and the slide is blued steel, possibly parkerized? How can I tell if the nickel plate is electro or electroless? Once I determine, can I get rid of it?

This gun is sound mechanically, stamped US Property and I would love to get it, strip it, put some 'original' parts back on, and refinish it in blue for a nice shooter. Could this be cost effective?

The price is $490, I'd like to see if I can get it for around $400, how would I be doing?

Thanks!
Hoppy
Old September 28, 2001, 08:36 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

You can buy nickle stripper from Brownells www.brownells.com. It's around $35 and will remove both types of nickel plating. I don't charge to strip old nickle if I'm rebluing/refinishing the firearm so you might check with whoever you plan to have reblue it. You might be able to skip that step entirely. Depending on the amount of parts you want to replace even at $490 you could keep the cost under $700. But when you think about it. You could buy a new 1911 for that. George
Old September 28, 2001, 08:52 AM   #3
Hoppy

Thanks George,

The two things that I would replace that I can think of now would be the hammer and the sights. In reality, the gun needs nothing to be replaced. I would like to put a new original hammer on. This one is wide and flat (and nickel, yuck). The rear sight is dovetailed and adjustable, the front is a tall post. I'd rather have original, but most likely would put low profile Novaks or something on. (I don't like big adj. sights on 1911)

The main thing would be the refinishing. Oh, and one other thing, someone did their own checkering on the front strap. Not the worst job, but I would like this filled in if possible to return it to original. Have you ever encountered this? Am I better off just living with it?

By the way, I'm in Mass. New Colts or any variation are $800-$900+. I've seen a Norinco used for $700 and even an Auto-Ordnance used for $700!

Thanks a bunch!
Hoppy