The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 20, 2009, 12:16 AM   #1
bbbigbossbb

Need a little help with boresights

Hey there everyone. I'm looking at using a laser boresight to sight in my .44 Magnum, which I did get a sight for if you saw my earlier posts. I was looking at the Osprey ones:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/aimshot-...or-arbors.html
and
http://www.opticsplanet.net/aimshot-...re-sights.html

As far as I've learned, I need the two of them to create the full "cartridge." Obviously I would want the .44 Magnum arbor, but which of the actual boresights would I want to fit in the arbor? It doesn't really state which boresights work with which arbors, so I just need a little help.

PS. I'd rather not sight in the gun using live fire due to my being 18 and having a poorly paying job with other obligations to pay for. I'll adjust it as I shoot though.
Old August 20, 2009, 10:50 AM   #2
davlandrum

Wow, that is confusing, probably worth a phone call.

Down at the botton, they have a cross reference guide. It looks like you need a 30 Carbine Bore sight and the arbor for your .44

DO NOT TAKE THAT AS CORRECT, that is just my best figuring from the links you posted.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old August 20, 2009, 10:55 AM   #3
bbbigbossbb

Thank you very much. Jeez, I didn't even bother to scroll all the way down. I feel kind of stupid now. I'll call them and ask about it and post the answer here.
Old August 31, 2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Monkeyleg

I just happened upon this thread, and was wondering why you need to get an arbor as well as the "cartridge" to do the job? These laser bore sights are one-piece, cost less, and I found them to work well.
Old August 31, 2009, 11:44 AM   #5
emcon5

Quote:
I'd rather not sight in the gun using live fire due to my being 18 and having a poorly paying job with other obligations to pay for. I'll adjust it as I shoot though.
I guess I am confused, you don't want to just sight in the gun the old fashioned way because you don't have money, but are willing to pay ~$60 for a laser bore sighter you will use once?

I would think you could buy yourself a couple boxes of .44 special for $60 and adjust the sights where you want them with plenty of ammo left over.

At most pistol ranges, the difference between .44 Special and .44 Mag are not enough to matter. If you are planning on shooting out farther, the special has about an inch more drop at 50 yards, so if you can adjust accordingly.

Tags
.44 magnum , boresight , osprey