The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 22, 2005, 11:15 AM   #1
bclark1

Safe Placement - Environment etc?

Just wanted to ask what everyone thinks here - I bought a pretty good sized safe that's a challenge to move, and as much as I'd like it in the basement my parents would prefer it stays in the garage. As mentioned in another thread, I'd like to bring it down for my last semester of college this fall, as I have range memberships down there. I don't like the idea of it sitting in the garage, but it does make sense in terms of the effort required to get it out in a couple short months too. Security isn't my primary concern; our garage is reasonably secure, my parents are in a very safe neighborhood and we've got a newfoundland mutt and a bernese that are bigger than most of our guests and bark at anything that moves within a block. My main concern is the environmental factor. Will a safe placed in a garage, in the summer where it's likely to be hot and sometimes muggy, be putting the guns and the safe itself at risk for any kind of environmental wear? The guns are well-maintained, cleaned after every use and wiped down regularly, but I'm wondering if one or two were left alone for a week or two in a safe in a garage would it be putting them at risk? I'm not planning on installing a commercial dehumidifier in the safe, but I do plan on putting a lot of water absorbant chemical inside. Any advice?
Old May 27, 2005, 07:11 PM   #2
bclark1

So it's in the garage, still on the pallet, no guns in it, totally unconfigured and all. Apparently a tow guy had to come to help get a car that's been garaged for a while started. Word is that he was looking a little too interested in the safe. Debating a little harder whether I want to see if I can call over some guys to help move it somewhere inside now...
Old May 27, 2005, 08:11 PM   #3
gw360

I wouldn't keep it in your garage if you can possibly avoid it. Between the high humidity in Chicago and the temperature extremes that are possible within periods as short at 12 hours or less, I think you'd be setting yourself up for condensation and rust problems. But if it's your only option, I'd go with a Goldenrod, and try to visually camoflage the safe with something that looks more innocuous. I was in a similar situation once, and I built a fake wall covered with pegboard to make a storage closet and area for my safe. "Nothing to see here...just cheap gardening tools...please move on."