The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 30, 2002, 08:25 PM   #1
G3

Where to Buy Rem 870 Police Trade Ins?

Greetings,

Does anyone know of a current source for Rem. 870 police trade ins?

Also, I've heard the Rem. 870 Home Defense and Express models guns are made with inferior parts and are not allowed for LEO use? Any truth to this?

Thanks
Old September 30, 2002, 08:44 PM   #2
yankytrash

Not sure how many agencies actually use 870's much anymore. I believe the majority use Winchesters. Might be Remington's advent of plastic into the trigger group? I dunno...

As for police trade-ins, try the bigger gunshops in major urban areas. I find'm all over Richmond, Va.
Old September 30, 2002, 08:50 PM   #3
9mmMike

I got mine here.
http://www.armthepopulace.com/

The inferior parts thing is a load of crap.

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old September 30, 2002, 09:10 PM   #4
G3

Thanks for the replies. So I should expect to pay under $200 for a police trade-in 870?
Old September 30, 2002, 11:37 PM   #5
Morgan

I don't know of any agency that uses anything except Remington 870's.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you where to find trade-ins.
Old October 1, 2002, 12:08 AM   #6
Dfariswheel

It's not that the Express is made with inferior parts. It's just that the 870 Police has beefed up parts like shell latch springs, and mag tube springs.
This is because Police guns face rougher use than the typical civilian gun.

Also there is no "ban" on police use of the Express, most departments just want a gun that will last a long time, and stand the abusive treatment police guns often get.

The 870 police has a tough parkerized finish, and the Express has some kind of bead-blasted or powder coated finish that won't stand up as well.

You will have to spend quite some time to find a police or federal agency that DOESN'T use the Remington 870.

For trade in police 870's, try The Shotgun News, they often are advertized there.
Old October 1, 2002, 04:49 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Valley Gun Shop (410-668-2171,IIRC) in Baltimore Md has them from time to time. They also at last check still had some surplussed and parkerized receivers. Frankenstein, my overpublicized parts 870 was mostly purchased there.

Last year Valley had some beater 870 WMs from Calvert Cliffs Nuke facility. Choate PG stocks, mag extensions, no rust but some visible wear, $219.

Parts from Expresses and WMs are the same except for finish.

HTH...
Old October 1, 2002, 08:30 AM   #8
ACP230

I've seen Police Trade-In 870 advertised frequently in Shotgun News. You could find one there and have your local FFL order one for you. Prices were under $200 in almost all the ads I saw.
Old October 1, 2002, 04:54 PM   #9
yankytrash

Quote:
The inferior parts thing is a load of crap.
Are YOU, SIR, BUCKING MY ARM-CHAIR COMMANDO/ KEYBOARD ENGINEER KNOWLEDGE?!? HMMMMM???

Oh, ok then....
Old October 1, 2002, 07:04 PM   #10
G3

Actually, I was told by a gunsmith who builds social shotguns that the Express and HD were of a lower quality than Wingmaster or Police models. Suppossedly, Remington would not recommend them for police use.
Old October 1, 2002, 07:24 PM   #11
9mmMike

The fit and finish on the Express is certainly not very nice when compared to a Wingmaster but the parts are the same. Parts is parts......
Mike
Old October 2, 2002, 06:24 AM   #12
yankytrash

Well, let's say "similar", rather than the same. There is quite a collection of plactis in the trigger group of the Express as compared to the Wingmaster. The bolt of the Express is finished with the gun, rather than chromed like the Wingmaster.

I have 2 of each, and my Express's hiccup way more than my Wingmasters. When we're talking about a few hundred rounds for each gun on a given day, I have to make sure my Expresses eat only long base, while my Wingmasters will eat anything. The Expresses do not like fast follow-ups.

That's been my experience, and I've had some kind of 870 since the late 70's.
Old October 2, 2002, 07:29 AM   #13
9mmMike

I am sure that you have more experience with 870's than I do as I am relatively new to the wonderful world of boom-sticks.
Do the new Wingmasters still use a metal trigger group? What about that stupid trigger lock?
My oldest Express, which was a police trade-in, has a metal trigger group. My newer Express' have plastic.
I thought that the plastic trigger group was more a function of the 870's age rather than it's model although I would think that maybe the police guns never got the plastic.
Anyone have a brand new Wingmaster or police 870 that can verify?
Maybe a new thread is in order.........
Mike
Old October 2, 2002, 08:03 PM   #14
gundog98k

870 military model

Gentlemen/Ladies,
You will certainly have to search long and hard for an angency which does NOT use the 870. I have used one since 1980 in one form or another. I believe that the plastic trigger group was introduced around 1996 or so. It comes in BOTH the "express" and the "home defense" models. The major differences between the POLICE and HD models are the finish as previously mentioned, the fact that the POLICE bolt is blued or parkerized, and that the HD models are "modified" so they will not accept standard police/military accessories. IE: they have different threads for the magazine cap so you can't screw on a choate mag xtender; one of the pins which secure the action parts (and which you would replace with longer ones to secure a sidesadddle, has been replaced by either a rivet or a bolt, i'm not sure I remember which, but that's what remington told me. Take my word for it I wrote and asked before I bought my newest 870. I bought an Ex-Air Force Prison System one; $185 at my local gunshop; accepts ALL accessories. Mine is registered as an AOW with a 12" Wilson/Scattergun Rem-Choke barrel with nitesites and a millet reddot in a one-lever QD mount I built myself. Bayonet lug available through Shotgun News too should you want such a thing.
Old October 2, 2002, 09:49 PM   #15
Opie-IN

Sorry but the above information is incorrect

I have had about 5 870s in the last couple of years, including some from the 80s and some made in the last year. The threads on all 870s are the same, you can add extended mag tubes to any of them, on some you have to remove some dimples to get the shells to go into the extender, but the threads are the same. There is also no difference in the pins that hold the trigger group. I have swapped sidesaddles back and fourth on them quite a bit. This is a 870 express HD manufactured in 2001. Everything fits fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870 m3c.jpg (155.4 KB, 203 views)
Old October 5, 2002, 03:05 PM   #16
gundog98k

apologies

My apologies,
Perhaps I misinterpreted the letter I got. It reads: These (870's) have been modified so they will not accept the use of law enforcement only accessories, including high capacity magazines."
Sorry.
Old October 5, 2002, 03:44 PM   #17
Romulus

Quote:
Anyone have a brand new Wingmaster or police 870 that can verify?
I got an 870 Police Magnum late last year (end 2001). It has a satin blue finish and a highly polished (chromed?) bolt. Very nice...also has an aluminum triggerguard, like my older express(ca. 1990)

The Express models I've seen lately are identical to my ten year old model (save the plastic TG) meaning they are bead blasted and blued - I've never seen one "powdercoated" as I often hear and read...the boulder-blasted blued steel I think could easily be mistaken for some epoxy coating....

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old October 5, 2002, 04:11 PM   #18
Morgan

870 Police purchased December 2001, parkerized with a parkerized bolt, metal (aluminum) trigger guard.