The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2009, 04:28 PM   #1
Ron

New Brass Question

I just received 100 new 40 cal brass from Lock Stock & Barrel. When I opened the package I noticed they were all primed. Now I was gonna resize all this brass but now should I just just load them up? I didn't order the brass primed, guess they were out. Any help would be appreciated.

Ron
Old February 10, 2009, 05:14 PM   #2
JD 500

If it were me, I would remove the decapping post from my sizing die, and size each piece of brass.
Old February 10, 2009, 06:44 PM   #3
Ron

I was just surprised it came primed. That's exactly what I'm going to do, but don't like the fact I don't know the manufacturer of the primer in.
Old February 11, 2009, 11:47 AM   #4
ryalred

+1 to JD 500
reloading -- addicted
Old February 11, 2009, 11:52 AM   #5
PDXGS

Buy a case gauge, do what was suggested above in reomving the de-capping pin and resizing, then run each shell through the case gauge- If they pass the case-gauge test after sesizing proceed from there.
Old February 11, 2009, 01:00 PM   #6
SL1

I say resize, at least as far down the case as the bullet will occupy.

It is very important on auto-feeder cases to be sure that the case has a tight grip on the bullet. That prevents bullet set-back during feeding. Bullet-set-back could create dangerous pressure.

Also, take a look at the case mouths before you resize to be sure they are nearly round to start with. Occassionally, some of my new cases need to have an expander plug run into them before I resize them because the mouths are crushed a little and may buckle inward. (That didn't ever seem to be a problem when all new cases came in boxes with indiviual slots for each case, instead of them all being just thrown into a soft bag these days.)

Anyway, congratulations on the free primers!

SL1