The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1
btolliverjr

Lee Pro 1000

Ok guys, I am totally new to reloading, but am seriously considering getting into it. I have been looking at the Lee Pro 1000 (in 9mm) https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41
Does anyone have any opinions of this press, and what else, besides what comes with this kit, will I need?
Thanks,
BT
Old February 7, 2009, 12:33 AM   #2
Inspector3711

Most importantly you need at least two reloading manuals and you need to read them first. I like one from a bullet company and one from a powder company. You'll see some differences.

You will need powder, bullets, primers, brass, a scale to verify your powder charges with, and I like to use a flash hole deburring tool on the brass first time around. I think the kit has most everything else. I just got mine for the .40S&W today but haven't had time to open the box yet. I bought mine based on advise from a friend that's been using his pro 1000 for about 25 years. I also got the brass collater. Oh... you'll need oil or grease to lube the press with. Lee says to use 20 weight motor oil but my friend uses a light grease called Superlube (it has teflon in it). I'll be looking for some tomorrow morning.

It isn't the best progressive but then I can't justify the expense for a better one and it'll do the job. I feel lucky to have one at all with the economy the way it is. I've been reloading with a single stage RCBS for about 1.5 years. I just got into pistols and need to make more ammo faster so I got the pro 1000 mostly for pistol ammo.

Eventually you'll want a brass tumbler and a bullet puller.

Last edited by Inspector3711; February 7, 2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old February 7, 2009, 08:49 AM   #3
RickV

I am fairly new to reloading but here is my take on the Pro 1000. It does the job if you do the job. By that I mean take your time don't be in a rush to pump 200 rds per hour (speed will come with experience). The biggest problem I had was getting a feel for primer seating. I load 40Sw & 9mm and plan to do 45acp and 38spl. I have had good luck right off the bat with the 40SW it took more patience with 9mm but once I got everything adjust right the 9mm's are getting easier. Lee has some good help videos on their website. All and all I am very satisfied with my Pro 1000. BTW did I say be patient at first (speaking from experince)

As Inspector3711 said manuals are Very Important and I would also recommend the Richard Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Edition is great if you are using Lee equipment.
Old February 7, 2009, 11:31 AM   #4
McClintock

I've been loading 9mm through a Lee Pro 1000 for a few months, and you will be able to produce good quality ammo if you keep it clean, especially the primer feed. Most problems I've had are with primers not feeding, which results in crushed or flipped primers. When that starts to happen, you will know that it's time to disassemble the press and clean it. I use a swab dipped in alcohol to clean the plastic primer feed, and then a VERY light coating of bearing grease on the shell plate and advance rod.

You'll probably hear this over and over again, too... keep the primer tray full. The primer system is a gravity fed unit, and you will not be able to load down to the last primer without a little manual persuasion, pushing the last few primers in with a straightened paper clip (this is a really useful tool to have, in my experience). Also, if you don't have the case feeder, I'd get it. It does speed things up dramatically.

The Lee press is more lightly constructed than say, a Dillon or Hornady, but you're not paying the same price as those presses, so that's to be expected. Because there are some plastic pieces in the shell plate carrier, you can't be too rough with it, or you'll shear off the plastic bits inside.

As long as you're not in a hurry, the Pro 1000 works pretty well, if you keep it clean and lubricated. IMHO, the Lee does require more frequent maintenance, but once you've disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled it once, it actually doesn't take that long to do the regularly scheduled maintenance.

I don't want to start a flame war here, but I know there are others out there who will say "Go with a Dillon" or "Go with a Hornady" or "go with an RCBS", and, if you have the $$$, that's great, but the Lee will do the job at considerably less cost if you're patient.

Hope that helps.
Old February 7, 2009, 12:22 PM   #5
#1 Moses

I think their is a place in Ohio your home state, Im preety sure its hamilton, Ohio who is a master Lee reloading supply dist. you may want to do a search. I think it E&H ot some thing similasr very good prices and you can pos drive over and get your press and supplys. that lee your looking at looks real nice just take your time dont rush read the books be safe enjoy re loading...
Old February 7, 2009, 12:24 PM   #6
fourrobert13

The only Lee presses I will buy are the Classic Cast and the Classic Turret. If you want a progressive, save your money and get a Hornady or a Dillon. Now if you like to tinker and work on things, buy a Lee. I owned both a Loadmaster and the Pro 1000, and they both required constant attention to keep them running smoothly. IMO, save yourself the headache, and spend once and get one of the other presses I mention.
Old February 7, 2009, 12:25 PM   #7
fourrobert13

Quote:
I think their is a place in Ohio your home state, Im preety sure its hamilton, Ohio who is a master Lee reloading supply dist. you may want to do a search. I think it E&H ot some thing similasr very good prices and you can pos drive over and get your press and supplys. that lee your looking at looks real nice just take your time dont rush read the books be safe enjoy re loading...
F & M Reloading is the place you are rfering to.
Old February 7, 2009, 07:02 PM   #8
TEDDY

lee 1000

the 1000 is a great press for the price but it needs an inteligent operator.I have two.I also have an RCBS green machine.they all have their quirks.and that RCBS is a $600 machine. I think the best machine for new loaders is the L clasic cast turret,it will single stage and also progressiv type.main thing is how many rds a day week or month do you need.if high volume then the Dillon.
Old February 10, 2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Jimbow1965

I have had a Pro 1000 for 20 years in 357 mag. Great progressive press.
If you want bullet on top of bullet, go single stage if you want good ammo the lee will be fine.
Good luck. And follow what these guys suggest...they know their sh**.
Jimbow
Old February 10, 2009, 06:51 PM   #10
darkgael

Lee

I have two Lee Pro 1000s, a Lee Classic Turret, a Dillon Square Deal, a Dillon 550B. They are all good. The Lee 1000s I have had for many years and have loaded many 10s of thousands of rounds on them. They are still going strong.
Pete
Old February 10, 2009, 09:55 PM   #11
Inspector3711

I spent a day dinking with my Pro 1000 Sunday. I got a few rounds out of it but I still have some learning to do. Most hiccups have to do with priming but I can see that it'll be a good unit once I train myself.