The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2008, 08:45 PM   #1
MDS

Brass storage

Can you keep tumbled brass in a container that dosen't have a lid? Does it matter?
Old December 26, 2008, 09:00 PM   #2
kraigwy

Yes as long as you dont have cats that have access to your tumbler. Ask my cat how I know this, On second thought, you cant ask it. He died.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 26, 2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Chief-7700

I happen to like one gallon Zip Lock plastic bags to store cleaned brass. I always carry two to three Zip Lock bags in my range bag, since I hate a 9mm stuck inside a .40S&W which is stuck into a .45ACP.
Chief
Old December 26, 2008, 10:07 PM   #4
rwilson452

If you put you brass in an open container eventually it will tarnish. in an air tight container they will keep a great deal longer. I stor my brass in a 3 lb butter bowl with the lid on. I also have some odds and ends stored in plastic container that other food stuffs came in.
Old December 26, 2008, 10:11 PM   #5
MDS

Thanks, That's something I didn't know. I've benn using coffee cans but there getting kinda bulky and in the way. I like the baggie idea.
Old December 27, 2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Nail Shooter

I don't tumble brass until I'm ready to reload it so it isn't sitting around loosing its luster. Lots of reloaders put some liquid car polish in their tumbler media (myself included) as it can help to clean the brass. I'm also thinkin' that the polish might retard the rate at which tarnish comes back.

Loaded commercial ammo is not usually stored in air-tight containers as evidenced by the ammo shelves at your local gun store. Has anybody ever opened sealed tins of military ammo? Is the brass cased stuff still shiny, or has it tarnished even though it was stored sealed?

Nail
Old December 27, 2008, 10:12 AM   #7
Ozzieman

For over 60 years Tupperware has created life-long connections between women across the globe...
That’s right out of Brook Shields mouth.:barf:
Wonder what she would think if she saw my Sears tool chest full of Tupperware containers with EVIL DANGERIOUS bullets?
Remember a loaded round is called a “bullet” or “gun thingy”
Just get the Tupperware with lids and on sale, Target is usually a good place to buy them. I use them and cleaned brass stays untarnished and shinny for months.
Old December 27, 2008, 10:19 AM   #8
MDS

LOl, I wonder what my local Tupperware lady would think if I invited some reloading buddies over for a "tupperware party"
Old December 27, 2008, 03:42 PM   #9
jtravisbayne

Brass Storage

I've been using military surplus ammo cans. They hold a ton, stack well, easy to cary & have a good seal. I picked up several 5.56mm cans at the last local gun show for $6 each. Also keep AK47 ammo in these things. 21 (20 round) boxes fit nicely in the .30 cal cans; 36 boxes in the 5.56mm cans.
Old December 27, 2008, 03:53 PM   #10
sserdlihc

I have my wife safe old plastic mayonaise jars , peanut butter jars...basically anything clear and plastic. Clean them thoroughly of course, and let them air dry.They work great!! Besides you have already bought them. No more expense.
Old December 27, 2008, 08:50 PM   #11
The_Vigilante

Brass storage

I like to use plastic 5-quart ice cream containers-after I eat the ice cream of course!!!
Old December 27, 2008, 08:53 PM   #12
DaveInPA

I love pretzels. So I store my brass in the big clear plastic pretzel containers, and each one has a dessicant pack inside of it to keep out moisture. Works well. And with the clear containers, I always have a visual of my brass situation.
Old December 27, 2008, 09:30 PM   #13
Ozzieman

"tupperware party"
MDS,,, What a good idea!
Old December 27, 2008, 10:09 PM   #14
rednexx

Tupper ware

I got some older tupper ware at thrift stores it works great and for only a buck or so it's a bargin, I call mine Ammo ware.
Old December 28, 2008, 01:19 PM   #15
CowTowner

Here's my setup. I use those storage tubs from Rubbermaid bought at Lowe's and some of the smaller ones for shoes.
Yes, I know the bench and work area are clean and neat. Why be normal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brass Storage.jpg (107.9 KB, 54 views)
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy