The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 19, 2008, 02:10 PM   #1
FrontSight

Anyone ever have a close call, or worse?

Just wondering how prevalent are hunting accidents and close calls...anyone wanna share their stories?
Old November 19, 2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Dallas Jack

While hunting with a buddy we were almost hit by stray bullets. We were crossing a creek when we heard something (didn't know at first that it was a bullet) and saw it strike 2 feet up the bank from us.

When we realized what was going on we moved out of the line of fire and headed up the creek to see what was going on. Found a guy about 400 yards up the creek sighting in his deer rifle. He had no idea anyone else was there.

Dallas Jack
Old November 19, 2008, 02:55 PM   #3
hunter33

A buddy of mine and I came up on a bear once with our a air rifles. He/she was pretty mad and we backed up slowly.
Old November 19, 2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Daryl

I was out sighting in a new Ruger M77 in .223 that I'd just bought. I was using a sand wash with a bend that provided a bank for a safe backstop, when all of a sudden a couple of GI's opened up with semi-auto .22's at the top of the hill above me. .22 bullets were zinging all around me, and I ducked into the truck for cover. I yelled, and the shooting continued. I shot once with the .223 (toward the bank behind my target), and the shooting continued. I finally yelled that I was fixing to shoot back when they finally realized I was there, and they took off.

A little while later, they came back to make sure I was ok. I was, but we had a nice little talk about shooting safely.

No harm, no foul, and hopefully they learned something from it.

Daryl
Old November 19, 2008, 03:16 PM   #5
ZeSpectre

I was about 17, out mending some barbed wire fencing on the center section of our well posted property when I heard the bang and saw bark fly off the tree about two feet away from me.

I hit the ground and started yelling "stop shooting, I'm not a <blasted> deer".

A few minutes later this guy came over to apologize and make sure I was alright, he was DRUNK beyond belief. I was so mad grabbed his gun out of his hands and threw it in the nearby creek just as my dad showed up to see what had happened.

Thought my dad was gonna kill the guy right there on the spot but we dragged him back up to the house and held him there until the sheriff arrived.

I was nothing but angry until we went back down to the creek for the shotgun (evidence) and then it dawned on me how close that had been and I threw up at least once that I remember.
Old November 19, 2008, 03:20 PM   #6
bclark1

Nope.

I think it's important that someone chime in for the majority by simply answer "No." While it's good to hear the stories to learn the lessons and hunt safely, I think it's equally important that readers know these are rare exceptions to what most find to be a great and safe experience.

Glad you're all safe, either way.
Old November 19, 2008, 03:37 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

NOPE/! Not me...
Brent,,,
Old November 19, 2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Nope.
Old November 19, 2008, 03:53 PM   #9
Huntergirl

Nope, unless you call biffing a black bear with bearspray, after surprising him on his gutpile supper. That stuff is nasty, but worked. Had to take MY clothes off at the truck. Always carry full coveralls in the truck for emergency tire changes in bad weather thank God.
Old November 19, 2008, 04:06 PM   #10
rem870hunter

hunting, no. at the range twice. but that's a different story.
Old November 19, 2008, 04:16 PM   #11
taylorce1

Not me either as far as firearms incidents goes.

I have had more close calls with equipment failures and uncooperative horses than anything else while hunting.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:30 PM   #12
davlandrum

Not sure it counts as "close call", but I have been scoped a lot. In Oregon, it is legal to hunt bear with a rifle during archery season. Lot of times, as I am still hunting with my bow through the bottom of a hole, there is someone sitting on the landing above, watching me through thier scope.

Makes me nuts, and it is the one hunting reg that I think absolutely needs to be changed before a bow hunter gets shot for impersonating a bear.

There is also the aspect of a LOT of rifle shooting during this time, at least where we hunt, for very few bears killed. Cynical people might think that the rifle elk hunters are making it as hard as possible for the bow hunters by "bear hunting". But no one would really do that, would they

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 19, 2008, 06:20 PM   #13
fisherman66

Nope, but I've always hunted private land. This year I'm taking a couple buddies out on public land with lots of blaze orange.
Old November 19, 2008, 06:30 PM   #14
critter44

I've had shots come VERY close to me on two different occasions, both while deer hunting. In neither case was I visible to the shooter. Spooky!
Old November 19, 2008, 06:42 PM   #15
rantingredneck

Bout 6 years ago I had buckshot whistle over my head once as someone shot at movement (me). I was wearing a full orange vest and hat at the time. I dove for cover when it happened. The person immediately realized what had happened and ran for their everloving life as I was picking myself up off the dirt. Wonder if it had anything to do with me coming up muzzle first ? I don't react well to being shot at.

Last year I took a well publicized tumble from a tree stand. This is the biggest source of hunting injuries and deaths. I've since been certified as a Hunters' Ed instructor and hopefully can keep others from repeating that mistake.

Be careful up there.

Last edited by rantingredneck; November 19, 2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Found the TFL link.....
Old November 19, 2008, 06:53 PM   #16
fisherman66

Gawd Redneck, I'm traumatized just by reading that. I sorry you had to go through that ordeal. Are you still in rehab? I don't know how I missed that post the first time though, but I extend my sympathys.
Old November 19, 2008, 06:55 PM   #17
rantingredneck

Nope. I'm good now. Don't really have much pain anymore. Some soreness and stiffness now and then. I'm back to doing all the things I was doing before the accident. I am WAY more careful about treestands now, though and I am harnessed from the time my feet leave the ground.
Old November 19, 2008, 06:56 PM   #18
Daryl

Quote:
I think it's important that someone chime in for the majority by simply answer "No." While it's good to hear the stories to learn the lessons and hunt safely, I think it's equally important that readers know these are rare exceptions to what most find to be a great and safe experience.

Glad you're all safe, either way.
I agree with this statement, even though I posted about one experience above.

A person has to realise that this was one exception that happened during a lifetime of hunting, shooting, hiking, fishing, and otherwise spending a great deal of time outdoors.

I've had far more "close calls" while driving, and my wife driving to work scares me a heck of a lot more than her going out in the hills hunting with me.

Daryl
Old November 19, 2008, 07:20 PM   #19
Pahoo

As part of our Hunter Education Instructor's commitment, we attend a Hunter Instructor's workshop to review the previous season's successes. We review a three state area in detail as well as general look at all states, including Alaska and Hawaii. When compared to past years, all states have seen and maintained a marked improvement. Most of the incidents could have been avioded but there are always some that just don't make sense and could happen again. The DNR's performs a CSI type investigation and hardly miss any details. All is documented and available to the public. Not sure of your agenda or point of departure but while making the measure, measure the successes.
For example, last year we lost more kids to baseball accidents than hunting accidents.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 19, 2008, 07:31 PM   #20
wpcexpert

Me and a buddy were squirrel hunting on a ridge. We kept hearing zings and things flying thru the limbs and branches above us. Then some hitting leaves and trees closer to us. We took cover and yelled down the hollar. Turns out 2 teenagers were down there with 22 shorts plinking. When we politely confronted them. They made their way up to apologise. I think they were better off for having us up there. We educated them on hunting safety and that bullets don't just stop where they were shooting. Luckly no one was hurt with that lesson. They acted humbled.

Also, walked upon a big black bear on the way to my bow stand one morning when I was about 16. Got to within 7 yards or so before I realized what it was. I was using the moonlight to get to my stand. It wasn't until I turnede on the mini-mag to see it was a bear. It turns out the best way to get a bear to turn and run over everything in their path, is ti yell "OH CRAP".
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 19, 2008, 08:16 PM   #21
ActivShootr

I guess my closest call was having an ATV flip over backwards while carrying a deer up a steep hill.

Wear your helmet guys and gals.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:02 PM   #22
Dolph92

While whitetail hunting in Wi I had a Blackbear try to climb into my stand I convinced him it was a bad Idea with a poke to the end of the nose with a broadhead tipped arrow from my quiver.

As far as humans I have been peppered a few times with shotgun pellets pheasant hunting. A few randon zingers during the deer season came somewhat close. Had some douche bag take a bead on the bus I was in while we where going to the shooting range for my firearm safety class. He was checking out a friends new scope and was pointing a 06 at the bus it pulled past. He was promptly ejected from the range.

One evening at a local trap meet some guy got ****** off and tomahawked his shotgun into the back of his pickup... He was ejected from the range as well told to never come back.

I was also a mile or 2 away from those poor souls near Rice Lake Wi that got killed by Chao Vang a few years back. My ex brother in law was friends with a few of them..
Very very sad what happened that day. I will remember that day till the day I die we all where glued to the radio scared to go out in the afternoon as the initial reports where so inacccurate. Some people where saying a random person was driving around and just taking plunk shots at orange in the woods so we didnt want to be anyplace where we are not safe. We honestly thought some PETA person finally went off the deep end. I remember how the woods was empty the second day of the hunting season. People would stop by as we where leaveing the woods and ask if we knew what wa going on saying they just cant go in the woods. I know people who live in the area that to this day still wont deer hunt because of what happened that day.

Last edited by Dolph92; November 19, 2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:24 PM   #23
siv

One time back in high school I went pheasant hunting with a few guys in my class. I went to firearms safety training with all of them so I wasn't concerned at all. We came up to a crick that we had to cross so we were trying to find the most shallow part to cross. Just as a friend of mine crossed, another one's gun went off into the ground. It didn't hurt anyone but it scared the crap out of the rest of us. Needless to say I've never hunted with him since...
Old November 19, 2008, 09:26 PM   #24
rantingredneck

Quote:
While whitetail hunting in Wi I had a Blackbear try to climb into my stand I convinced him it was a bad Idea with a poke to the end of the nose with a broadhead tipped arrow from my quiver.
You see, I wouldn't have to resort to that as he'd be dodging the crap coming out of me and retreating under the onslaught.

I have had a black bear wander in about 40 yds away and plop down under a tree for a sit. Wandered out a few minutes later.
Old November 19, 2008, 09:52 PM   #25
Kreyzhorse

I've never had a firearm related close call while hunting. I did however, almost step on a rattlesnake on my first Wyoming hunting trip.

Anyway, walking back to the truck after an unsucessful stalk on some antelop when I almost stepped on a rattlesnake. My buddy noticed it crawling in front of us and grabbed me, pulling me backwards. Had he not seen it, I have no doubt I would have stepped on it. He was a small one, no longer than 14" but it scared the hell out of me that I didn't see it.

When hunting out west, I'm much more aware of where I step now