The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 8, 2015, 04:25 PM   #1
Mitchum

IWB holsters designs

I have a question for those who are currently using an IWB holster for concealed carry. I'm a few months away from getting my CCW license, have purchased a Kahr CM45 for concealed carry and am now contemplating holsters.

I know nothing about them and have never tried on any of the IWB holsters. I've been looking at Aliengear's new 2.0 for comfort and fit. Today when looking online I saw a N82. The difference appears to be the Aliengear 2.0 has 2 clips for over the belt versus 1 for the N82, and, the Aliengear backing for the holster doesn't go behind the grip but the N82 does (supports the grip higher on the back).

I like the perceived comfort aspect of the Aliengear holster (neoprene) but it seems like the N82 with the support material for the grip would be more comfortable overall for the lower back.

Opinions? Ideas for other holsters would be appreciated as well - I don't know much about them and am just starting to look around.

Thanks!
Old January 8, 2015, 04:51 PM   #2
jmhyer

First, I will say that I have never tried either of the holsters you mentioned. I have however tried holsters that are similar.

The Aliengear is basically a clone of the Crossbreed Supertuck. Most people find these types of holsters among the most comfortable iwb holsters. I have found that the two points of contact (hooks) with the waistband provides a much more comfortable fit than a single hook. There is less movement of the unit overall and the two spread out contact points seem to hug the gun and holster a little closer to the body. My only concern about the Aliengear one is that the hooks seems to be plastic rather than metal and I would wonder about durability. Another similar option would be the Galco KingTuk. As to your concern about the material between the grip and your skin, the most important coverage area will be at the back of the slide and both holsters cover that area. For me, the coverage area of the N82 is excessive.
Old January 8, 2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Mitchum

Quote:
The Aliengear is basically a clone of the Crossbreed Supertuck. Most people find these types of holsters among the most comfortable iwb holsters. I have found that the two points of contact (hooks) with the waistband provides a much more comfortable fit than a single hook. There is less movement of the unit overall and the two spread out contact points seem to hug the gun and holster a little closer to the body. My only concern about the Aliengear one is that the hooks seems to be plastic rather than metal and I would wonder about durability. Another similar option would be the Galco KingTuk. As to your concern about the material between the grip and your skin, the most important coverage area will be at the back of the slide and both holsters cover that area. For me, the coverage area of the N82 is excessive.
Thanks for the detail --- exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like my concern for the lack of material behind the grip is no biggie. I wondered about the stability with 1 belt clip versus 2 - makes sense.
Old January 8, 2015, 05:52 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, Mitchum!

I've never used either the AlienGear or a N82. I have handled an N82, and it is an intriguing design. What I have used is both a Crossbreed Supertuck and a Theis. Mine are both horsehide-backed, with a kydex shell and metal clips. I routinely carry a G19, which I think is heavier than your Kahr. Whether or not you want material between yourself and the grip of your pistol largely depends on how rough the texture on the pistol is, and how sensitive your skin is. I like having a sweat shield to keep the slide off of me, but that's more to keep grunge or oil from getting on my shirts than it is any concern about the gun.

I also agree with jmhyer about two contact points on the belt. It spreads the weight of the gun out better.

There are a number of CBST clones:
AlienGear
Theis
Galco KingTuk
Comp-Tac MTAC
etc.

Shop around and see what you think fits your needs and budget. Also, don't overlook the value of a good belt. I figure that I occasionally sound like a broken record on this point, but I'm a firm believer that a good belt makes all the difference in ease and comfort of carry. And if carrying is uncomfortable, most of us won't do it. I routinely carry my G19, an extra magazine, and a Leatherman multi-tool on my belt, and it's easy.

Where to find a belt:
DeSantis
Beltman
Aker
Galco

Most of the holster makers also make belts.
Old January 8, 2015, 05:59 PM   #5
iluvlabs1

Hello Mitchum.... and welcome to the forum..

Like you, I wasn't certain what holster I'd enjoy. I will switch between a S&W Model 3913 and a Ruger Speed Six (2-3/4"). I'm not in the best of shape. I heard, and tried, the Remora holsters. I thoroughly enjoy same, carrying either at AWIB. The Remora doesn't move much a all, even though my excess stomach is trying to move it. Good luck with your choice.
Old January 8, 2015, 06:41 PM   #6
Mitchum

Thanks for the welcome and info - just what I was looking for. I'll browse some of the brands mentioned and see what looks good.

Definitely not the first time I've heard that having a good belt makes a difference. By "good" are we talking quality, width of belt?? Just curious.
Old January 8, 2015, 09:25 PM   #7
jmhyer

Stiffness is the primary feature you are looking for in a belt.
Old January 8, 2015, 10:28 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

The IWB Hybrid holsters like the Cross Bread are excellent concealment, and very comfortable.
My personal choice is the Theis Holsters model. All hand made, and individually fit to the same exact model of gun you are ordering for. No pre formed Kydex part A bolted to leather part B assembly line style. but what amazes me is that all three of them I have were delivered to my mailbox within 10 days of ordering. The last time I looked, the website of the original said something like 6 weeks for delivery.
There may well be some on the shelf models of various brands in gun stores, and big box outdoor stores close to you however.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 9, 2015, 11:52 AM   #9
Captains1911

I have tried many different makes of IWB hybrid style holsters, and IMO the Alien Gear is WAY too thick and overbuilt, especially for a smaller gun.
Old January 9, 2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Mitchum

Quote:
Captains1911: I have tried many different makes of IWB hybrid style holsters, and IMO the Alien Gear is WAY too thick and overbuilt, especially for a smaller gun.
I've been looking at Aliengear and considered it. Do you have a recommended IWB which is built more efficiently?
Old January 9, 2015, 12:12 PM   #11
Captains1911

My personal favorite is the Black Mamba holster by Concealment Solutions. I also like Theis. Both owners are great to deal with. Crossbreeed makes a decent holster as well, but they have a much longer lead time, and come with obnoxious religious symbols all over them.

http://www.concealmentsolutions.com/blackmambace1.html

http://theisholsters.com/
Old January 9, 2015, 06:26 PM   #12
Rangerrich99

I have a Super Tuck and a N82 Pro for my 4-inch 1911. Got the Super Tuck first about three years ago. Solid holster and pretty comfortable. The N82 I got last year on the advice of one of my LEO friends. Very very comfortable. I've actually fallen asleep while wearing it, and that's with the gun in it. Also very comfortable to wear while seated. Easy rake adjustment and the retention feature is pretty easy to get used to. The sueded backing of the pad both absorbs sweat and helps with weight distribution as it 'grips' your side slightly. However, the ST does distribute the weight of your weapon a little better with its two belt clips vs. the N82s single clip.

IMO, They are both excellent holster for the money, but if I had to choose one over the other, it'd be the N82, mostly for the comfort-ability factor.
Old January 10, 2015, 09:16 PM   #13
ncdmz

I have a Kahr PM45 and use a combination Kydex & leather holster made by Garrett Industries. It's the Silent Thunder IWB and is very comfortable.

www.giholsters.com
Old January 17, 2015, 08:46 AM   #14
druryj

I'm sold on SHTF Gear, after having owned several other Hybrid Style holsters. Smaller footprint, thin, comfortable, and well made. I carry a Gen 4 G26 in one, and also a Walther PPK/S in another, both normally ride on a Wilderness 5-Stitch belt. As for belts, CCW IWB does not require as stiff a belt as OWB. Weight of the gun is a major factor in belt choice for OWB. I like my Looper Leather belt, and I also have one from Mitch Rosen for dressier occasions.
Old January 18, 2015, 02:51 PM   #15
JimDandy

What no one has told you, you're almost certain to end up with a box of holsters. We just about all have one. We saw a holster for sale and either it was a gimmick that was intriguing, or slightly off on construction and pokes us where we don't like even though the general design from another maker worked for us in the past, or sometimes a feature we took for granted wasn't there. And you're going to get more that are situational.

My box is thankfully still pretty small. But it continues to grow. I just picked up a Drop Leg platform from Blackhawk for hunting. So I'll use it, but it's going to spend most of it's time in the box. I've got an IWB in what I suspect is cowhide from Galco. It stays in the box. The throat collapses, and I have a horsehide IWB from Kramer Leather.
Old January 20, 2015, 01:59 PM   #16
Grant D

^^^^ what he said^^^ I have a dresser drawer full of holsters, some I don't even know what their for any more!
But for IWB I like my Crossbreed Super tuck for my LC9 and my Galco King tuk for my 1911,s
Old January 23, 2015, 10:41 AM   #17
IronCobra

What I generally do after purchasing a new gun is to take advantage of my Amazon Prime membership and order about 10 different holsters to try on. I go through Tuck, Hybrid, SOB, IWB, OWB, and even deeply concealed holsters. I keep the 2 or three I really like and ship the rest back.

If you only narrow your search down to specific brands or recommendations by others, you may end up with a holster that doesn't really meet your needs.

I have had great luck with some expensive holsters, but also great luck with some low cost ones. For instance, I'm currently wearing a IWB Blackhawk #7 holster that cost me $9 on Amazon. It's extremely comfortable with my XD Mod.2

I also have a custom OWB pancake, a Galco Hybrid, and a DeepConceal Arm rig that I have for various attire I might wear when wanting to conceal my XD.

On the otherhand, I have some completely different branded holsters for my Shield.

You really need to try on several before settling on one.
Old January 28, 2015, 11:58 PM   #18
Tony C

There has already been a LOT of great feedback and though I'm not sure what I am going to be able to add to the discussion, I will toss my input in anyway.

Like others, I have no experience with the two holsters you have mentioned, but wanted to touch on the IWB holsters I have used. Both are Galco and I have both for my 4.25" 1911 and my SW 642.

First is the Galco Royal Guard IWB. It is a great holster, has worn well and been comfortable for both handguns, but more so for the little revolver. It has no protection between the skin and the grip, and on the 1911 the grips are checkered and can rub the skin. These holsters start around $120.

My newest is the Galco Kingtuck. I have had this less than two weeks, but absolutely love the holster. Much more comfortable than the Royal Guard because the profile is spread out further on the belt. I have some spare tire (6' and 245#) so I was worried about the holster not tucking in well and about it printing with just a t-shirt. Not a problem. It holds well, keeps the shirt tucked surprisingly tight, and doesn't print. So far I am in love with it.

I looked at the Galco Kingtuck and the Crossbreed Super Tuck, and chose the Galco simply due to the difference in cost.

Good luck.
Tony