The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 11, 2015, 10:58 PM   #1
Mitchum

Shooting goggles fogging up - solution?

In an effort to protect my hearing as much as possible (I've had advanced hearing loss a long time and wear aids), I decided to wear the foam inner ear plugs and also purchased the highest NRR ear muffs I could find. So as not to break the seal of the muffs when wearing glasses by having the arm of the glasses slide underneath the ear muffs, I switched to goggles with an elastic strap that goes outside the muffs - works great. Tried the glasses and goggles and the seal being intact matters......definitely better!

My dilemma - the goggles start fogging up after a short while blurring my vision. Not desirable when shooting targets!! I've thought about trying to vent the goggles somehow by drilling small holes (a couple per lens) in the corners. Has anyone experience this issue or tried venting as I suggest? Thoughts?
Old January 12, 2015, 07:12 AM   #2
foxytwo

To prevent the fogging I would recommend to drill 4 each of 3/16 holes under and over each lens. If you need more ventilation you could add more holes. The warmer the day the more ventilation will be required. I also have bad hearing and remove my hearing aids and put in ear plugs rated at 33 db and ear muffs over them. I feel that the very small loss of protection where the muffs fit over the bows of the glasses is so minor to me, without the ear plugs it would make a difference.
Old January 12, 2015, 07:29 AM   #3
Mitchum

Thanks foxytwo - think I'll likely need to try this. I was shooting in an indoor range and it was about 60 deg. Can't imagine what it will be like in the summer.

I may also try a pair of shooting glasses that "hug my head" a bit more. Mine (not the goggles I purchased to wear with the ear muffs) are standard sized but they are definitely wider than my temples and may break the seal of the muffs more than others might. The goggles work great so if the vent holes take care of it mission accomplished.
Old January 12, 2015, 08:34 AM   #4
wogpotter

A few thoughts that might help.

Is there a SCUBA shop anywhere near you? They sell lots of anit-fog that can be applied to the inside of the goggles.

If you smoke (or chew) a little damp tobacco wiped over the inside does a god job or anti-fogging.

Clean them thoroughly, "fog" needs microscopic "grip sites" to form & a spotless surface has less of them.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 15, 2015, 10:51 PM   #5
Snyper

Check out the automotive sections in stores and you'll find anti fog treatments for windshields that should work fine

Divers spit on their masks
Old January 16, 2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Polinese

Toothpaste... it's what we used to use for our masks when diving. Just rub it around in there.
Old January 18, 2015, 10:28 AM   #7
Mitchum

Ended up drilling vent holes in goggles AND rubbing toothpaste on them. Shot for an hour yesterday at the indoor range without taking the googles off- no fog!
Old January 18, 2015, 05:02 PM   #8
Doyle

The reason toothpaste works is that you are cleaning the glasses. Fog can only acculmulate on dirt particles. It won't form on pure/clean glass. As to going to a dive shop for facemask solution - only newbie divers buy that stuff. Experiencened divers soon learn that ordinary baby shampoo works just as good (apply with fingertip then wrinse out just before starting the dive).