The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 21, 1999, 06:22 AM   #1
BR549

Have you seen these? tried them? Do the work OK?

www.clipdraw.com
Old July 21, 1999, 07:45 AM   #2
Jim V

I have one for my 1911 and it works fine, I just don't use the Clip-Draw (tm) because I have to changemy grips or remove part of the top of either the ivory and/or stag grips I use. If theat makes sense.

BTW, the idea has been around since the 1911 was invented, I have examples in my collection from the '30's.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old July 21, 1999, 08:28 AM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I bought one for my Officer's Model. Not bad, though I was not impressed. In order to hold the gun really secure, the tab needs to be bent so that it contacts the slide....bad JuJu.

In it's factory configuration, it does keep the weapon from sliding down the pant leg, but hardly secures it for activity. All in all, I don't find it to be a real advantage over normal Mexican Carry.
YMMV.
Rich
Old July 21, 1999, 10:38 AM   #4
Anthony

I must respectfully disagee.

I've had my Clipdraw for three months now on my Lightweight Commander. It's fabulous for my needs.

I usually carry the Colt crossdraw in my denim shorts with an untucked t-shirt. When combined with a thick belt, the clip holds just fine in my tests...which consisted of running and jumping around.

The best parts for me are no added width from an IWB holster and adjustable rake. IWB carry has usually been an uncomfortable experience for me.

This makes the Clipdraw equipped 1911 quite comfortable to wear.

- Anthony
Old July 21, 1999, 12:04 PM   #5
Rosco Benson

I haven't used this new "clipdraw" product, but it is clearly a copy of the earlier unit made by Brown & Pharr of Atlanta. The most secire way to use these is to wear a narrow belt (1" or 1.25") and to wear the pistol in your waistband with the clipdraw's "tongue" over the trouser waistband but UNDER the belt. The belt will tend to ride up over the "hump" of the "tongue" and hold the pistol quite securely.

Rosco
Old July 21, 1999, 01:45 PM   #6
sharpsrifle

I've been using one for the J-frame S&W, for a couple months now. Very little bulk which is nice. Bare gun against bare skin=not so nice. T-shirt between the two goes a long way towards fixing that. Regards, Sharps
Old July 25, 1999, 03:43 AM   #7
DougB

BR549,

I read an article on the web awhile back about these (I think it was on www.gunweb.com). It was very favorable - the author seemed to think these were the best thing since sliced bread. If it sounds like what you need, I wouldn't hesitate to get one.
Old July 25, 1999, 08:39 AM   #8
45King

I've tried the clipdraw. IMHO, it's one step above Mexican carry, and that's about it. Too much trouble taking off stocks, etc, when one wants to carry in a holster. The angle of the clip is wrong to hold the gun at a proper cant, and if it were corrected, the clip would block the ejection port. The gun has a tendency to move around in the belt. I tried it on is a Colt 1991A1 full size.
FWIW, I have a Taurus 605 with a Barami HipGrip, and THAT'S the ticket. Very secure (for me, anyway), fast access, comfortable, and no dressing/undressing/switching around grips, etc.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

Old July 25, 1999, 01:09 PM   #9
ARshooter

To see if you would like this type of gun holding device, get a length of coat hanger and bend one end 180 deg. This will be about 2" long and will clip over your belt. At the other end (approx 6" from the 180 deg turn, adjust appropriately for each gun)do the same thing. The muzzle of the barrel will slip over this end. It will look "S" shaped. Slip a length of plastic tubing over the hanger wire to protect everything. This is cheap, will hold the gun fairly well, can be adjusted any which way, takes up no room and will give you an idea if you like this type of "holster". FWIW
Old July 26, 1999, 09:40 AM   #10
Rob Pincus

Mr father in law has one of a J frame that he wears almost constantly. He says he's had it "forever" which would mean he probably got it shortly after the Dinosaurs faded from their glory. While he has not claimed that he was responsible for the passing of the terrible lizards, it would not surprise me if his Clip-Draw was actually made out of dino-bone.

He doesn't seem to have any problem with it, but he is also not what one would call "Bombastically Active."