The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 26, 2009, 08:36 PM   #1
blackeyed dueler

Ruger rifle replacement stock?

I just replaced the synthetics stocks with laminates on my 2 ruger mark IIs,first one went Ok,but the 2nd (300 win mag) I had problems with the floorplate not staying shut, I started loosening the stock screws and it finally would shut,but I am afraid things might start to come loosen up when I let some 300 mag loads loose,any Suggestions?
Old December 31, 2009, 08:21 AM   #2
blackeyed dueler

should the 3 screws be tightend down pretty hard? I have been around guns all my life,but I usually don't take them apart
Old December 31, 2009, 09:38 AM   #3
fineredmist

The front screw draws the action down and to the rear to takeup the recoil, the rear screw draws the action down to the stock further absorbing the recoil. The center screw holds the floor plate and trigger guard in place and if you tighten the center screw too much you will stress the center of the receiver. Tighten the front and rear screws equally (very tight and lube the threads with never seize) and then just snug up the center screw. You may have to play with the torque on the center screw to permit the floor plate to open.