The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 23, 2001, 06:10 PM   #1
Gunzo

Broken Uberti springs

I've never had a problem dryfiring centerfire revolvers until I got a Uberti SAA. The first spring that broke was the trigger return. Replaced it and practiced somemore, then broke a hand spring. No silly stuff like fanning or any thing like that, just cock, aim,& snap approx. 300 cycles & firing 200 rounds of live ammo, it broke twice!

Is this general design that prone to breakage, or is it maybe just poorly made springs by Uberti? If it's just the springs , who offers hi quality replacements.

Thanks, Gunzo
Old December 23, 2001, 06:48 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The usual answer: Wolff at www.gunsprings.com
They have mainsprings and trigger/bolt springs. You may have to go back to Uberti for a hand spring. Actually the best thing to do for a hand spring is to have it "Rugerized" by drilling the frame for a coil spring and plunger. Some clones are coming through this way from the factory. I don't know who does the work, apart from big names like Richard Heinie. Ask around if you have a local Cowboy Action Shooting club or rummage around on www.sassnet.com
Old December 23, 2001, 10:50 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

"General design" or "poorly made springs". I have never had a problem with my Ubertis but then I tune my SAAs before I even shoot them, so my experience is not really a general one.

The design does have something to do with it. Springs broke on Colts and on all others of that general design. Worse, the cylinder stop is itself a spring and they also broke. And, yes, Wolff springs break also. That was the main reason Ruger designed his single actions to use coil or wire springs.

Try the Wolff springs, and they might end the problem. They may need fitting, though. If you are going to use that gun a lot, it might be a good idea to find a smith to tune it and dress the springs. (I do not do that work any more - no license.) Otherwise, buy a Ruger.

Jim