The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 6, 2013, 09:51 PM   #1
sirdiealot

got a couple of questions

ive had this idea bouncing around my head for a few days of building a what I believe is a brand new idea for a suppressor. is there any laws about building one as in do I need a ffl license, tax stamp and or anything else. if I build it for myself do I need to go through all the hoops before I build it or after I build it.
thanks

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:20 AM   #2
1DrnkMxR

Form 1 approval before you begin your build.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:39 AM   #3
Lark

No license required in the USA to buy, sell, make, own or use a silencer in the 38 states that allow unlicensed civilians to possess them.

Obtain the ATF form 1, form 5330.20, two fingerprint cards and two passport sized photos, fill them out, send them in along with a check for $200, wait 6-8 months for approval then start making parts after the canceled tax stamp comes back.

You will need a lathe to make a decent silencer, but it is not hard to do. You need to make it right the first time because you can't make replacement parts unless you pay another $200 tax or send it to an FFL/SOT class 2 for repairs. Even then the repairs can't change the bore or lengthen the tube.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/firearms/index.html Get forms here.
http://www.atf.gov/content/distribut...ter-order-form Order them here. You will need the NFA finger print card.

Have fun.

lark
Old May 8, 2013, 08:19 PM   #4
sirdiealot

so I have to get the form one done and approved, then make my suppressor and if it don't work like I thought then im just stuck with a suppressor that don't suppress? this is a completely different idea then the conventional suppressors that are out there.

...Wildly popular all over the world, mostly in countries where people don’t carry guns, and cops don’t have to actually shoot people with theirs.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:05 AM   #5
David Hineline

Of course you are not the first person who had a revelation of how to make a silencer better than ever before.

Contact a license manuf. pay them money, they can prototype your design and if it sucks they can simply destroy it and no paperwork needed. Then you can buy a nice commercial unit with a proven design.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:18 AM   #6
kimbershot

innovation--high end cans

i was in a high end plumbing supply store last week. i walked by this "box". as i walked by, it made a whirling noise and before you know it--it was a "crapper"--a very high end can. it had auto flush, a fan etc.

point of the story, if someone never had an idea or a "better way", where would you be today? if a guy thinks he can make a better "can"--then he's half way there. far be it from me to rain on his parade.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:03 PM   #7
Lark

Quote:
so I have to get the form one done and approved, then make my suppressor and if it don't work like I thought then im just stuck with a suppressor that don't suppress? this is a completely different idea then the conventional suppressors that are out there.
Yes you are stuck with whatever you make. Post a drawing and let's see if it is something new.

lark
Old May 10, 2013, 11:31 PM   #8
sirdiealot

hey thanks for all the help.. hell I guess its only 200 will get the forms and go that direction. for the gent that think something cant be improved I guess you are still shooting only black powder then but hey whatever floats your boat.