The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 20, 2007, 06:38 PM   #1
bswiv

Shell sticking????

I have a old Mossberg Md. 500 12 ga. that has what I hope is a simple problem. With light target loads it works like a charm. Never fails to eject. Over the last couple of months I've run a few hundred rounds through it at clays without a problem.

Then this last week we flew to S.D. to try pheasants. Used Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 1 3/8 oz loads. These are quite a bit more powerful than the 1 oz target loads I've been using. About 30% of the time the darn thing would not extract the fired shell. Twice I had to take the barrel off and pry them out. Rest of the time working the action a few times dislodged it.

While thinking this over it occured to me that on two other occasion, on two shots I can remember, it did the same. Both of those shots were 3 inch buck. One at a hog on the last day of the season. Had to work the action a time or two to get it out. The other was at the range a few weeks ago.

In that instance we stoped at the patterning station before we went to shoot some clays. I had one 3 inch buck I wanted to test with the full choke tube. That one stuck too. Ended up having to remove the barrel on that occasion also.

But I did not think to much of it at the time becasue I proceded to run a couple of boxes of target loads through it without a hitch. Now though I realize there is a problem with stouter loads in the gun.

I've looked at the extractors. The one on the right is nice and sharp and the spring seems strong. The one on the left seems to be far more rounded even though the spring seems as strong.

My question is, should the inside extractor be rounded so that it bites less and releases the rim easier when the shell is ejected or should it be as sharp as the right one?

What do you experts say?
Old October 20, 2007, 07:25 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't have a Mossberg 500 in front of me, but I think that extractor setup is normal. The right hand extractor actually pulls the case out of the chamber; the left one just grips the case until it can be ejected. I don't believe your extraction problems are due to the extractor as it seems to be getting a good grip and trying to extract the case.

I am going to assume two things. One is that you have tried cleaning the chamber. The second is that since you are using 3" shells, your gun is chambered for 3"; a 3" shell fired in a 2 3/4" chamber can raise pressures enough to cause problems. If all is OK so far, read on.

I think the problem is either the ammunition or more likely a rough chamber combined with soft base brass. If you are willing to take a small chance, try this. Get a 1/2" or 5/8" wood dowel and slit it for about 1 1/2". Take a strip of 1000 grit emery paper 1 1/2" wide (auto supply stores), put one end in the slit and wrap the strip around the rod, grit outside, until it is chamber diameter. Chuck the dowel rod in a drill or drill press and turn it on for just a few seconds, while moving the dowel in and out for the length of the chamber. This should polish the chamber. Don't overdo it.

Try the gun and see what happens.

Jim
Old October 20, 2007, 08:14 PM   #3
bswiv

It is a 3 inch chamber........

It stuck with both the 3 inch buck and with the 2 3/4 inch high brass pheasant loads.

I'll do as you suggest and then fire a few shells through it. I'll let you know.

Thank you................
Old October 27, 2007, 04:27 AM   #4
bswiv

DR. KEENAN:

Pulled it apart, put the glasses on, got a magnifying glass and had a GOOD look in the chamber. If what I'm seeing is what I think it is, a build up of some sort of plastic looking residue, then I think the problem will be solved by your suggestion. I'll be doing as you suggest tomorrow and then post how it works in a few days after I get it to the range..................

I am hopeful that you've hit the nail on the head.

Thanks