The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2006, 04:27 PM   #1
Neo Enigma

What Do You Use For HD?

I'm curious to know what shotgun and what load other users use for Home Defense. And also what mods have been made to make your HD choice more efficient (tactical light, forend grips, stocks, sidesaddles, etc.)? Mine is a Mossy 500 Persuader w/ SpecOps stock, ATI Deluxe Heatshield w/ generic Ghostring sights (so I'm cheap!), TacStar 6 rnd side-saddle, Streamlight M3 light, stock forend (soon adding Hogue overmold), 20" barrel and a total of 8 capacity. Right now it's loaded with 12 GA 2 and 3/4 Law Enforcement Reduced Recoil 00 Buck. Nothing fancy but I like it. I know most of you are die hard 870 supporters (with good reason) but, being left handed, the Mossy felt better. So what is your choice for HD? What are its mods, if any? Why did you choose this weapon and those mods? Just trying to gain a better understanding of the versatile and venerable shotgun. Thanks
Old June 27, 2006, 05:56 PM   #2
Mannlicher

There is a pic of my Wingmaster here on another thread. 12 Ga, a two shot mag extension, and a Remington factory 20 inch rifle sight barrel. My prefered HD long gun is a Bushmaster shorty, but in the shotgun, I prefer Breneke slugs. I am not a big fan of buckshot.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 27, 2006, 06:01 PM   #3
ddelange

There's currently a thread ongoing about why use a SG for HD. It's been quite interesting. The shotgunners have lined up against those of us who prefer a carbine (like my Colt M4 for home defense)

However, limiting my answer to shotguns. . . .I have a Mossberg 590A1 loaded with 7 #1 Buck shot shells in the tube, chamber empty, safety off ("my finger is my safety"), a Sure Fire tac light forend, and a side saddle with 5 slugs. I could load my tube with 8, but I keep it -1 in the case I want to immediately line up a slug for a longer shot/or possible shot against a hostage taker.

Why #1 Buck? Because it contains 20 pellets of .30" that can penetrate more than 12" of a home invader. The IWBA has concluded, after a good deal of ballistics testing, that #1 contains a greater sectional density than 00 or 000, and would cause more severe wounding in a human attacker. But really, you can't go wrong with 00 Buck either.
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill
Old June 27, 2006, 06:24 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

'House guns' here (3 of them) are Remington 870 Express 12 gauge pumps. There are three because of the layout of the house, we (my wife and I) don't want to be separated from a long gun no matter what. The shotguns are concealed when we are home and two are locked away in the gun safe when we both leave (not often). The third always travels with us in the car. All were bought used for $125- 150 several years ago and modified over time.

The guns have 18- 20" barrels with rifle sights (tritium inserts) and factory fixed ImpCyl chokes. Each has had its forcing cone extended. Each has a heavy-walled synthetic stock (SpeedFeed II) shortened to a 12 1/2" length of pull and fitted with a KickEez recoil pad. Each has a field length synthetic forearm and a 4-shot SideSaddle, sling swivel studs, and provision for mounting a Streamlight M3 light. There are no magazine extensions. These guns are set up to fit my wife, all 5' 4" of her. She doesn't like extra weight in front of the support hand or guns too long to handle comfortably. I on the other hand (at 6' 3") can 'crunch' sufficiently to handle the guns easily, it's far easier to shoot a shotgun that's too short rather than one that's too long.

Magazines are loaded with three rounds of Hornady TAP (red hull, 8 pellets of 00 buck at 1600 fps in a FliteControl wad), chambers are empty, SideSaddles are loaded with 4 Kent/Brenneke KO slugs. Sights are zeroed for slugs at 50 yards, buckshot patterns into 12-15" from all three guns at 25 yards and patterns coincide with slug zeros closely enough not to be a problem.

Both of us keep sidearms handy and there is an AR-15 carbine 'on the pegs' (hidden outside the safe) as well if trouble comes from farther away. We live on five fenced acres (hi-tensile electric on the outside perimeter, 47" stock fence topped by electric around the house) well out in the country, our nearest neighbors are about 300 yards away and screened by trees and outbuildings. The nearest paved road is 1/2 mile away. We keep the gates locked (padlocked) and have two dogs that are protective of us and "their" property. People don't wander around much off the paved roads hereabouts unless they are either lost, or looking for trouble.

lpl/nc
Old June 27, 2006, 06:35 PM   #5
USMC Tanker

I use my baby...

I keep it loaded with a mixture of Remington Sluggers and reduced recoil buck. I LOVE shooting her!
Old June 27, 2006, 06:41 PM   #6
sm

NEF Youth Model 20 gauge Single Shot .

Koplin shell carrier on stock held more secure by Electrical Tape going thru elastic shell holder postions #1 and #5.

Using slugs only.
Old June 27, 2006, 06:43 PM   #7
gdeal

Home Defense

Sensor Lights around the perimeter. Two big dogs on the side of the house. Brinks Home Alarm System. I don't have the Remington 870P yet. But I do have some big MagLite Flashlights around the house.
Old June 27, 2006, 07:32 PM   #8
skeeter1

Well, if I had to choose a shotgun, my shorter-barreled 12-gauge (26") SxS double, probably loaded with #5 shot. At 20-30' it would certainly stop a BG in his tracks, yet not likely to go through the walls and hurt someone else. My first choice would likely be my .38 Spl snubby.

I have to agree with gdeal that a big dog is probably the best, but I've got several cats, so that's probably out of the question for me. Big Maglites (I've got a couple) make good shillelahs, too.
Old June 27, 2006, 07:51 PM   #9
gunslinger555

870 hd with 2 clasic fed. slugs and 5 fed. le 2 3/4 00 buck and glock 19 fed hydroshok under my pilow
Old June 27, 2006, 08:15 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Well worn 870s.....
Old June 27, 2006, 08:25 PM   #11
Donaldo

Pardner Protector 12ga with 5 rnds Hornady TAP, 5 rdns Winchester Super X Slugs, and 5 rns Remington Low Recoil 00 Buck (for the wife) on the sling.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old June 27, 2006, 10:30 PM   #12
Neo Enigma

All right. Sounds like all of you are well prepared for any BGs -lol- For those of you who mentioned AR-15's, man I'd like to have one but they're so darn pricey. We shoot the M16A-2's at the unit (and did during basic) now I think they are using the M4 because of its more compact size and maneuveribility (sp?). Our unit was issued those with AKOG sights (now come standard issue for those deploying, methinks). A good assault rifle, dogs, fences, lights, security system, etc. are all primo HD choices. HD isn't limited to just weapons but any precautions that can be taken against BGs. When I buy/build a home I will definitely implement precautions such as those.
Old June 27, 2006, 11:08 PM   #13
TexiCali Slim

Winchester 1300 Defender

12GA with the 18'' barrel and 8 shot capacity. I load mine with birdshot, since I live in a apartment I feel it is my obligation to my neighbors to try and not kill them on accident. I have also heard people say that birdshot wont kill people(BS), with 8 shots I can sure incapacitate the BG.
Old June 27, 2006, 11:30 PM   #14
drifts1

Mossberg 500 with #4 buck
Old June 27, 2006, 11:41 PM   #15
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
There's currently a thread ongoing about why use a SG for HD. It's been quite interesting. The shotgunners have lined up against those of us who prefer a carbine (like my Colt M4 for home defense)
I use both, my 870MM and my M1a socom. Generally the 870 is for breaking glass strange noise ect., while the socom is reserved for an all out forced entry/home invasion, or SHTF stuff.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old June 28, 2006, 12:13 AM   #16
LSU12ga

deadbolt and an 870

I have an remington 870 super magnum with 4 rounds 00 buck in the tube.
Old June 28, 2006, 12:26 PM   #17
rich52us

Mossy 500

Ghost ring sights and tac light. Loaded with 00 buck and 6 more in a carrier on the butt stock.
Old June 28, 2006, 02:37 PM   #18
jhgreasemonkey

Ithaca 37 12guage 19" loaded with slug, buckshot alternating. Mossburg 500 18 1/2" loaded with 3"mag #1 buck.
no fancy accesories. just bead sights. uncle mike buttstock shell holder. I preffer the mossburg over the ithaca. It has proven more reliable.
Old June 28, 2006, 03:40 PM   #19
Syntax360

Mossberg 590 (50665) loaded right now with 4 rounds of Winchester #1 Buck in the tube. The speedfeed in the back has two 1 oz. Brenneke slugs and 2 1-1/8oz. Brenneke slugs.
Old June 28, 2006, 11:23 PM   #20
'75Scout

1956 Remington 870 Wingmaster. I bought it with an 18" barrel and rifle sights. It also had a 2 shot mag extension. I have added a Knoxx Compstock, their products are amazing at reducing felt recoil. I can now quickly fire all eight rounds from the 870 with no pain. The stock has quickened my followup shots and I have also added a 4 shot Mesa tactical shell holder, much better than those crappy plastic Tacstar sidesaddels. I also had the blueing coated with an OD Green ceramic coating to reduce the need for cleaning. All it is lacking is a Surefire forearm.

I keep it loaded with 7 rounds of 00 buck and 4 1oz slugs on the side. I also keep mine -1 so that I can quickly load a slug. But I am thinking of removing the +2 mag extension and adding a +1 mag extension so it will be lighter and the spring will not compress the shells as much. The shells that are in my shottie will not fit into my shell holder because the spring has compressed each shell a little bit. But they still cycle.
Old June 28, 2006, 11:32 PM   #21
'75Scout

It's a 2 shot mag extension not a three.
Old June 30, 2006, 05:55 AM   #22
Nanuk

I try to fit the tool to the job, I live in a rural setting. My wife and I live alone with the dog, our daughter lives in the dorm. The only issue is the situation. My beside guns are a Browning A-5 18" BBL loaded with 7 rounds of 00 buck, and an H&K USP/C .40 (duty gun). If seven rounds of 00 buck don't do it mama will use the Henry Big Boy 44 mag until I get to the gun safe. Once it comes off layaway , I will fit a .50 Beowulf upper on my M-4 and it will replace the 12 ga by the bed.
Old June 30, 2006, 08:07 AM   #23
wolfdog45

My HD shotgun is my Mossberg 590 loaded with 8 rounds of "000" buckshot.
I chose the Mossy 590 because it performs better to me than the 870 does. But that is just me.
I also have my AK47 with a 75 round drum loaded and ready to go for when the SHTF.
And I have my Auto-Ordnance 1911A1 on my nightstand at night and on my hip during the day.
Then I have my Tuarus 84 loaded with 38 +P in my sock drawer along with my ruger MK1 22.
My wife keeps my Bersa Thunder 380 on her nightstand at nights also.
Then I have one of my K31's leaning behind the door ready to go if I have to make a long shot. ( I live in the country on top of a hill where the nearest neighbor is about 1/4 of a mile away.)
I have my K31 mounted with a St Marie clamp on mount and a 3-12x50 IR scope that is sighted in at 600 yards. So I can use the open sights on close targets and the scope for long distance. I got of topic here sorry I just thought I would point out that I have more than just my shotgun to protect me.
Old June 30, 2006, 04:13 PM   #24
LSU12ga

note to self

never, ever, break into wolfdog45's house.
Old July 1, 2006, 02:42 PM   #25
RevolverLover

Mossberg 590A1 w/18.5" barrel