The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2008, 09:16 PM   #1
mdk187hj

Primers

Ok before I ask my possibly stupid and idiotic question I must first warn you that I am very "NEW" to reloading in the most literal sense of the word. So new that my press hasn't even been delivered by UPS yet.

Ok now for my question.... I am going to be reloading .223 rounds for my Remington model 700 SPS Varmint rifle. For starters I will be using IMR 3031 powder with 55 grain Hornady boat tail FMJ projectiles. Now for my question I received over 1200 Winchester "Small Pistol Primers for Standard Pistol Loads" from a relative. I was told I could use these in my .223 rounds but I am very skeptical of that statement and would like some input on if this will or won't work, and if its completely dangerous and idiotic to even think such a thing and i should just go out and get some small rifle primers.

This is going to be my first run doing this and I want to be as safe as possible and not turn my first reloading session into my last.

-Harry
Old May 31, 2008, 09:22 PM   #2
snuffy

Good call on that! Small pistol primers are rated at much lower ability to contain pressure. .223 rounds are a much higher pressure round than any handgun rounds. Most likely they would pierce under the pressure of the .223 ammo.

Definetley get some small rifle primers, and welcome to the obsession.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 31, 2008, 10:59 PM   #3
Big Caliber

There are no stupid, dumb, or idiotic questions when it comes to reloading safety. If it were me, I'd hang onto those small pistol primers 'til I could get a small pistol or revolver to load for. Iv'e always used the recommended primers for the application they were intended for. It's just 1 less thing to think about B4 I pull that trigger. Happy loading...you may find it addicting.
Old May 31, 2008, 11:44 PM   #4
rwilson452

Ah, now you have a good reason to pick up that 9mm pistol you have been looking at.
Old June 1, 2008, 06:50 AM   #5
ryalred

As inexpensive as primers are, I'd leave your primers for small pistols. As others have mentioned--this would be a great excuse to buy a small caliber pistol
reloading -- addicted
Old June 1, 2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Alleykat

Please note, however, that lots of us 9mm reloaders use small rifle primers for 9mm reloading.
Old June 1, 2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Archie

MDK, the small pistol primers will fit in the small rifle primer pockets - and will probably ignite the powder in the case. However, as has been mentioned, the small pistol primers are not made to contain rifle level pressures. F'rinstance, 9x19 and .357 Magnum rounds run at about 30,000 to 35,000 psi (usually measured in Lead Units of Pressure - LUP). .223 Remington runs at between 55,000 and 60,000 psi.

As advised, save the pistol primers for pistol ammo. Besides, the rifle primers have a bit more ignitor compound and typically do a better job of igniting the powder charge. That's a good thing.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old June 1, 2008, 11:34 AM   #8
mdk187hj

Thanks for the help everyone, I thought the whole thing sounded a bit fishy but I just wanted some conformation.

Now my next question is what Small Rifle primers would you recommend that I use. I was looking at the Remington 7 1/2 Bench Rest primers, but any other suggestions would be appreciated. I want to have a few to look for, the reason being is that from what I have seen, small rifle primers are hard to find in my area. Plus when I tried to order them online I was told that I cannot have powder products shipped to me in NJ.
Old June 1, 2008, 01:21 PM   #9
Alleykat

Just get the least-expensive small rifle primers that you can find. I use CCI, Winchester, and Remington. Would use Federal, but I can't ever find them in stock. If I woke up in NJ and realized that was where I lived, I wouldn't need enough components except for one round.
Old June 1, 2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Sigma 40 Blaster

If you're going to be reloading for .223 check out some small rifle primers in a white box (CCI I believe) that are a bit harder (supposedly) than normal small rifle primers made specifically for .223 (and their metric counterpart). This is supposed to prevent a slamfire.

I'm not saying it does but they cost the same as the other brands and I have not had a slamfire.
Old June 1, 2008, 07:28 PM   #11
Antipasta

You never should have said New Jersey! The shipping of powder and primers is a universally expensive proposition. I go over to the frequent gun shows in Phila and Valley Forge (they're also up north around Easton too). It is my sole source for primers and powder. There's a show coming up in Valley Forge in the next week or so. Check this Pennsy forum under "Gun Shows" for details http://www.pafoa.org/forum/
Old June 1, 2008, 07:43 PM   #12
Red_Eagle

I've been using WSR with stick powders. My 700 SPS's favorite load so far is Varget, WSR primers, and a 55 gr hornady SP-SX or V-max.
Old June 2, 2008, 04:21 AM   #13
Tim R

My Favorite 223 primer is a Rem 7 1/2. However, I found with my rifle and my loads, CCI BR's shoots about the same. Stay away from Federal's and brass colored Winchesters. My rifle is match AR and I shoot 52 to 80 SMK's over Reloader-15 in Lake City cases.
Old June 2, 2008, 04:38 AM   #14
rn22723

There is nothing wrong with Federal primers, they have produced some of the best and consistent loads for me in several 223 bolt guns. Fed 205 and N133 with a 50gr Vmax is an awesome combo. I agree that since Win in the early 90's went to brass colored primers they became prone to piercing especially in the AR platform.

Then RP 7.5 is an excellent choice works well with TAC, Varget, IMR 4895, the CCI 450 is very good with TAC.