The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 20, 2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Firepower!

Smith & Wesson 629 Classic

Hi,
I have recently purchased a SW 629 Classic in 6" 44 Magnum. I was in seaarch for one SW revolver for my collection and after buying and selling many, I decided upon 629 in SS finish. What are your views on this revolver?

Now I am looking for a scope, so please advise me on how and what to mount on it. Since it does not have a rail per se like my SRH, I am having tough time figuring it out. Thank you.
Old April 20, 2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Fishslayer

New S&Ws are pretty much out of my $$$ league but how can ya go wrong with a 6" 29?

Saw a used prelock 629 (full underlug) for $545 a couple weeks ago. Much lust. I went back to haggle & it was gone. Lasted about 2 days at that price.
Old April 20, 2010, 06:20 PM   #3
stevieboy

I love .44 magnums but I don't own one. The reason: I'm not a reloader and that magnum ammo sure is pricey. I have friends with .44 magnums, however, and they graciously allow me to shoot them from time to time. In recent months I've fired my friends' 29-2 4", 629 4" (mountain gun), and 629 6". All of them are enormous fun to shoot and tack drivers to boot. The 6" 629 is a little easier on the hand and wrist due to its extra heft, but all of them are eminently shootable with the right grips. For the heavy stuff I prefer Hogue rubbers.

Last edited by stevieboy; April 20, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old April 21, 2010, 10:54 AM   #4
GeauxTide

You'll love the 629. As I've gotten older, the largest N frame I have is a 657. My 44 is a Ruger SBH, which is much more comfortable for my hands.
Old April 21, 2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

I have had a 629-2 for about 25 years now. It has the 8 3/8" barrel so it's not the handiest gun to lug around in the mountains, but it is one of my most accurate, rivaling my BFR single actions. I bought this one from a guy who used to be a gunsmith and he had done a trigger job and put in a different main spring to make the action even silkier I guess.

I'm not sure what to say about the scope. I recently put a scope on one of my BFRs and I'm still getting used to the whole idea. I just know that I have revolvers that are capable of shooting accurately out to 150 yards but my eyes are getting to the point that I can't see the details of a target that far. The scope takes care of that problem but I have problems finding the target quickly for the short shots. Practice will help I'm sure.
Old April 21, 2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Webleymkv

The S&W 629 and is carbon-steel brother the M29 are excellent revolvers. My personal .44 Magnum is a 629-6 with a 4" barrel and I couldn't be happier with it.

Mounting a scope on a S&W usually requires removal of the rear sight assembly. Newer 629's come with holes already drilled and tapped for the scope mounts under the rear sight leaf, but older guns might require the services of a gunsmith in order to mount a scope.
Old April 21, 2010, 07:55 PM   #7

I love my 629

I have 44 mag in stainless with a 8 3/8" barrel. I would say it's very reliable, sturdy, and darn accurate. As far as the scope rail, get a Weigand in stainless. As previously mentioned, the scope rail mounts where the rear sights are mounted. I went with an Eotech holographic for optics. I know the gun is capable of shooting farther than I can make out a target in the sight window, but I feel I can acquire my target much faster with the Eotech. I hunt with the gun and can shoot baseball sized groups at 100 yards. I also reload my ammo and can shoot all I want with the savings over factory ammo.

Enjoy your gun, you got a beauty as far as I'm concerned.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old April 21, 2010, 08:06 PM   #8
hexidismal

Love 'em, but I don't have one. I've been looking for the right pre-lock full underlug classic for years now.
Old April 21, 2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Huntergirl

They're absolutely lovely. I've had 2 Classics, but something always made me trade them off. I think it was 2 1911's. Yeah prolly...
Old April 21, 2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Slamfire

I believe my 629-4 is called a Classic DX.

It is an unusually accurate revolver. It may be due to undersized chamber mouths which have the negative effect of increasing pressure. This is not a problem as I cut my loads.

I found the recoil objectionable, and I have small hands. The Hogue X grips fit great and really cut the recoil pain.

Old April 21, 2010, 11:58 PM   #11
laytonj1

Quote:
I believe my 629-4 is called a Classic DX.
Then it will say so on the barrel. The DX's were guaranteed to shoot less than .75" at 25 yards and came with the factory target.

Jim
Old April 23, 2010, 03:27 AM   #12
Firepower!

What are some good websites where I can find a replacement front sights for the 629 classic that dont need gunsmithing?

Last edited by Firepower!; April 25, 2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old April 23, 2010, 01:51 PM   #13
jaybirdjtski

I have an unscoped 29-2, nickel, 8 3/8" bbl, Pachmeyer rubber grips. I've used it to kill a black bear and deer and assorted ground squirrels. Also, it knocks down metal silhouettes just fine.

I've had scoped Contenders and I never liked a handgun scope over 2x.
That said, Leupold scopes have lifetime guarantees regardless if you are the original owner or not. You can find them for $110 to $ 140 or so used. Can't go wrong with a Leupold or a Burris but it seems there are more Leupold's on the used market. Just did find a Leupold 2x to mount on a RSH 454 Casull. New toy and hunting rig!
Old April 25, 2010, 07:17 AM   #14
CarbineCaleb

Re: Front Sights

Brownells is a good place to start looking for sights - black, gold and ivory bead, fiber optic...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=2...n_Front_Sights
Old April 25, 2010, 08:11 AM   #15
pendennis

I own a 629 made in 1981, with the pinned barrel and recessed chamber. It's an outstanding revolver.

I never load it up past reloading manual recommendations; and most of the time, I shoot .44 Special loads in the .44 mag brass.

It's a great revolver to own and use.
Old April 25, 2010, 08:22 AM   #16
yellolab

My understanding of the Classic DX is that they were cherry picked off the line as the most accurate ones; if they passed the mopst stringent accuracy test, they were labeled DX, otherwise they were regualar Classics.
I think they came with multiple front sight color choices, along with 2 grips, wood and rubber.

Kevin
Old April 25, 2010, 08:37 PM   #17
fishluv

Hey guys,

I've had a 629 dx for many years. Does anyone else have minor burring where the cylinder contacts the barrel? It seems like its a consequence of swinging out the cylinder...

I don't know if I should get it cleaned up or ignore it. I haven't shot it in 20 years but from what I remember it was very accurate.
Old April 25, 2010, 08:53 PM   #18
riddleofsteel

Number one on the Wegand mount, best made in my experience.

Quote:
It is an unusually accurate revolver. It may be due to undersized chamber mouths which have the negative effect of increasing pressure. This is not a problem as I cut my loads
If the chamber mouths of the cylinder are undersized for the bore diameter of the barrel you will NOT see accuracy. Just ask any .45 Colt Ruger owner.

I owned a 629 Classic DX for many years. It wore a Wegand base and rings and a Leupold 2.5X scope. Many a deer and hog came to the BBQ thanks to that revolver. I sold it to my brother in a moment of weakness. One of the sales I still regret.
Old April 26, 2010, 01:20 AM   #19
Hook686

http://www.mcknightcutlery.com/_prod...m_Pistol_Scope

A fine scope made for .44 magnum handguns. As I recall, on my 629 Classic and 629 Light Hunter, I simply used a pretty basic weaver base (requires removal of rear sight) with medium profile rings (allows me to use the factory sights when I mount the scope on my Marlin 1894 SS).

Pride Fowler scope, rings and integral weaver style base mounted on 629 Light Hunter

weaver base mounted on 629 Classic

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Hook686; April 26, 2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old June 13, 2010, 11:31 AM   #20
iron maiden

I have a new 629 6" stainless. It doesn't have the full underlug as I like the classic looks of the regular barrel.

I'm thinking about a Burris 2-7x with illuminated electro-dot reticle. I saw that Leupold makes a S&W dual dovetailed one piece base in stainless....I held this up to the revolver and it seems to be a close match to the gun's finish.

I didn't buy it at Cabela's since they didn't have any rings....
Old June 14, 2010, 09:08 AM   #21
aarondhgraham

I have a 629 no dash,,,

I can't compare it to other .44 Magnums,,,
But I like this gun very much.

A friend loads some lightweight target rounds for me,,,
It's a pleasure to shoot and is minute of paper plate at 100 yards.

Last year my nephew took a deer with it,,,
It dropped a feral mutt like a sledgehammer.

There may be better .44 Magnums out there,,,
But better for what I can't imagine,,,
This handgun just rocks.
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 23, 2010, 01:29 PM   #22
yellowf4

These guns shoot so well it is unreal. I HIGHLY recommend the 629 classic if you are on the fence. I worked in a local shop for 15 years and never saw any come back with any problems other than "It ran out of ammo again..." They came with different front sites (they are a quick release design) and fairly decent factory trigger job. The classic series has the full underlug that also added extra recoil reducing weight and helped to balance.

I have a 629 classic in 6.5" that I bought new in 94. I have Millett rear site and hi-viz site up front, beautiful trigger job and had the forcing cone "trued" by gun smith that did trigger job. This gun will shoot one ragged hole all day long with a hard cast lead 215 gr Bear Creek bullet and 22.0gr of 4227.

My problem? Now I have the 500 and the 44 just isn't the same...ha ha ha. My 629 is for sale if anyone wants one.... No "Kalifornia safety" hole in the side either! drop me an email if anyone is interested. Lots of ammo and accessories, holsters, etc.

I hope the load gives anyone with recoil issues some help, it is easy to shoot.

John
Old July 23, 2010, 08:56 PM   #23
6shot

good choice
Old August 10, 2011, 09:41 AM   #24
Tommy Vercetti

my 629-4 Classic has the 8 3/8 inch barrel, it's a beautiful gun
Old August 10, 2011, 10:00 AM   #25
aarondhgraham

This is Jezebel,,,

Model 629 (No-Dash),,,

No matter what I plan on shooting,,,
I always take Jezebel and 6 rounds of ammo.

The last thing I do before I leave the range,,,
Is try and hit a random dirt clod at 100 yards off the bench.

There's some recoil,,,
But she does balance well,,,
So while it's punchy it's not painful.

Congrats on a great buy.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Tags
44 magnum , smith & wesson , sw 629 classic