The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 9, 2010, 11:36 PM   #1
blackdog_507

SW1911 Magazine troubles

Just purchased a used SW1911 in the factory box, came with one mag. I guess I assumed it was a S&W factory mag. Surprise, it was not. Its a Colt 8 rnd mag. Haven't had it to the range yet, but was going to put it in my bedside pistol safe instead of an old security six. I loaded 8 rounds of Hornady TAP 200 grn +P JHP and tried to chamber a round. The round would not chamber from the mag. It appears as though the flat nose of the HP bullet is not hitting the loading ramp properly, instead its hitting the flat part of the front of the mag well. Just wondering if anyone else has had any troubles with after market / other brand mags in a S&W 1911. Surely I don't have to buy ALL factory S&W mags at a premium???????? Advice please?
Old November 10, 2010, 01:11 PM   #2
tjhands

Get a Wilson Combat 47D mag or two and call it a day? That's my advice.

Buy once, cry once.
Old November 10, 2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

You must just have an odd mag.

I'd go buy a few Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags and your problem will be solved. From what I've seen, you can buy more expensive mags than Chip McCormicks but I don't think you can buy any that are more reliable.
Old November 10, 2010, 03:22 PM   #4
AZGlock13

Chip McCormick's 8rd Power Mags are also a great choice. My 1911s run perfect on them.
Old November 10, 2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Brian48

I've run a plethora of magazine makes through my SW1911, including the 8 rd type using the "Shooting Star" follower that I suspect your mag is using. These should work fine so long as the springs are in good shape. Since you bought this gun used, I'm only assuming the previous owner included the worst mag in his inventory when he sold/traded the gun off. A fresh set of mag springs might solve your problem.

In any case, you've got a quality gun so I recommend you splurge a little and get a couple of WC ETMs. The factory ACT mags are great, but the Wilsons are just a little bit better.
Old November 10, 2010, 07:26 PM   #6
fastbolt

S&W switched from Wilson to ACT-MAG's as their standard magazine some time ago.

Wolff switched from Metalform to ACT-MAG's quite a while back, too. Wolff offers an extra-power mag spring for the ACT's, as well.

I've been using both the "factory" S&W ACT's and the Wolff ACT's with a heavier spring in my S&W1911 & Colt .45's with very satisfactory results.

The other mag I find to work well in my various 1911's is the Tripp Research Cobramag.

I tend to rate the Metalform FBI-spec mags somewhat farther back in 3rd place.

I've used my fair share of other mags over the years, but those are the ones I've come to trust the most. I've seen some of the special enforcement guys have variable experiences with different mags, too.

FWIW, magazines are at the heart of reliable feeding & functioning in 1911's and I wouldn't scrimp when it came to buying the best ones that exhibited optimal feeding in my 1911's.

Considering the number of folks who are making 1911's nowadays, and the potential variance in tolerances from the original Colt technical specifications, I'm no longer surprised when I see one or another brand of mag exhibit some different performance when used in different guns, especially when used with different ammunition.

I dislike the new Colt 8-rd mag, using that folded leaf spring follower and the short mag spring. When I bought my last new Colt I removed the follower and spring and replaced them with an extra-power spring and flat/dimpled follower from Metalform, converting them to 7-rd mags ... but that's just me. When I want to fit 8-rds in a mag I prefer to use one of the newer slightly longer mag bodies which were intended to receive 8-rds.

The retail for the Cobramags is listed at about $35 by the company and Wolff lists their mags at about $24 retail. S&W lists their standard 8-rd 1911 mag at about $32 retail a McCormick 10-rd mag for about $34. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...6_757837_image
Old November 10, 2010, 07:48 PM   #7
RickB

The mag could be damaged, or otherwise not up to snuff. I never had any problems with the three Colt 8-rounders I had (all with the McCormick/Shooting Star follower), but as noted, today you can't tell when re-engineering or tolerance stacking are going to create a gun/mag combo that won't work. I've retired all of my older 8-rounders, and use almost nothing but the new, extended-tube mags from Check-Mate Industries.
Old November 10, 2010, 08:49 PM   #8
stevieboy

My S & W 1911 runs flawlessly with the Smith ACT mags. I've been told that Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick mags work equally well.

Tags
1911 , 1911 magazine , 45 acp , s&w .45 , smith & wesson